Monday, November 16, 2009

United Myanmar


AFTER CONFIRMING my salary with RM-1400, my senior started to change his attitude onward me, instead he should happy with the prospect of his salary rise. All my senior Myanmar colleagues guessed that I can't get my salary beyond RM-1000 regardless of any post and educational background. I was so upset to hear their -ive comments and finally I fought for my salary and got RM-1400. It's mean my salary is more than my senior who is still earning RM-1100 including RM100 keep money. I noticed that he treated me totally different in daily process.
Being junior, I was struggling to familiar with the company format at earlier days. So I have a lot area to learn from him and he also explained me whatever he can until my salary confirmed. After that he'ld decline my curious questions by saying you are better than me and earn better. So you don't need to learn so much and learn it by yourself if you found something unfamiliar. Actually he is about 4 year younger than me also engineering diploma holder with non-civil subject. So technically I am stronger than he is and I have got enough experience to work independently. But I insist that I still need to learn from him in order to smooth my work. For instance, I don't know how to take letter ref:, QS ref:, quantity taking-off by the aid of computer, how to use photostat machine, fax machine, etc. I understood how his mind suffer from learning that his junior got better salary. So I keep quiet and I tried to ask other country men colleagues when I needed to clarify.
Two month later, his salary increased to RM-1200 and following month he earned the same amount of what I earned. In fact he can't expect this salary increasement unless I arrive this company. But he never mentioned his thanks for this advantage. Next month another myanmar engineer came to our office and they united as a group and we gradually keep silent and didn't speak each other unless it is necessary. 5 months later another 2 Myanmar engineer and 1 draft man joined us and make a small Myanmar continent at the office. So there are altogether 5 engineers and 1 draftman who are working together and dinning together at the lunch time and dinner time.
At our first year, we got a staff foods for twice a day during week days. Second year food supply reduced to only once a day. Final year we are not getting any foods from office and we never get any food allowance for that. As a result, we need to prepare our foods at our hostel and there was only stove and one frying pan at the hostel. So we need to share all utensil as a common tools and unfortunately our working time is exactly the same and cooking time also fall on the same period. So every evening, we are fighting for the gas stove and pan by going back early hostel and will cook without hesitating the follower. In this case, there are 4 groups for only six person office staffs.
What a disappointing experience is it? We came from the same country and struggling in the bad company by going on the same boat. Should we help each other rather than fight each other? Should we make it one group and cook it happily? Why seperate so many group for only six person? The answer is we are not united and our rival became bigger day after day. At one point we don't want to see each other. It makes our bad employer happy bcz the lady boss wanted to see us ununited. Let me share one case here as it is coincident with united title,
At our hostel, there was a Myanmar female staff who is also working at the office with different level. She also need to cook for her meal and one day she dropped the kitchen knife and it broken to 2 pieces. She, amazingly, placed back the knife and no replace with new one. Since it is only one knife everybody use in kitchen and people are keeping use these spoil knife without buying new one. So I decided to buy new one by sharing the price and proposed to all groups. There are five group in which some group are individually group. After getting approval, one group in which two people comprise demanded to pay by individual rather than group. I rejected their proposal and I insist to quit from that plan if they don't agree with group sharing. I mean is every group must pay one share regardless of how many people included. Finally we cannot make it deal and failed to buy new knife. I bought a new knife by myself for my group while they buy their knife themselves. It' funny people will bring back after cooking and our cool relationship became chilly.
We are such a kind of people, we failed to make strengh by uniting each other while we all are working away from our home land. I think this is a major different between our citizens and other citizens. Other country men are very united in oversea so that they can able to protect each other from other's bulliness. I also not innocent and my mind became dirty so as to reflect my surrounding people. Actually the price of knife is less than RM-5 and nobody wanted to donate in favor of everybody's convenience.
How do I dare to say we are a buddhist men?
How other country men judge us if they had seen our case?
It is embarrasing manner and I felt ashamed now when I consider that days. Now all of us are currently working in Singapore after finishing our 3 years contract with Malaysia employer. At some point, we were willing to kill each other for a few Ringgit Malaysia.
Is it crazy enough we are?
But it happened to us once upon a time in KL, Malaysia. Now these all are left as our history.

No comments:

Post a Comment