Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The dorm I lived in KL


I RATE MY ACCOMMODATION as a dormitory rather than hostel. There are so many reasons for why I could say so. I needed to shift my dormitory several times within my 3 years working period in KL. We are much look like a toy for our employer rather than a employee. They don't respect and take care enough our facilities as well as utilities despite agent mentioned them on the terms of the contract. On the other hand, we don't understand the basis right of employee and lack of relevant firm to file our complains. Anyway I had passed that bitter days right now and I am currently writing that post to reflect how bad is it being a migrant workers.

I was given a temporary shelter at the double-decker container by the time I land Malaysia in my very first day. I was introduced & welcomed with the dirty & messy standard of construction worker's camp.I tried to passed that night by cleaning my place and sleeping on the old newspapers. It was never easy to sleep soundly when the environment's air pollution is extremely bad and mosquito are tasting blood of new comer. But luckily I was escaped from that condition after one night time because I was selected to go office the next morning by Manager.

Being office staff, I was given a room in the flat nearby office. So I positioned my thing in the room and quickly see around. There is no bed, no cabinet, no wardrobe, no counter-table, and so many no....... I don't know it is the standard accommodation for a foreign worker. I comforted by saying myself that I'm not coming here for vacation, just come for work and save money. So I have to overcome this kind of obstacle and try to settle in that situation. Few days later, I noticed that other flat-mates have a better rooms and better furniture like bed and table. May be I am neglected for that because I am too much junior and fresher. But I want all my senior Myanmar colleagues know that junior also human being and I am not a general worker. Am I proud enough to say so? If your answer is "yes" then I have to counter that it's our people's weakest point in hesitating manner to claim whatever we are supposed to get in life. Let it be since we had been used to this kind of situation in our mother land and probably our brain has been trained to survive in the broken places. Alright let me have some explanation to make you clearer.

My room has no window and there isn't no fan as well. So ventilation is so bad and we can't sleep in the night. You know Malaysia is situated on the equator zone and the weather is so hot. But I braved myself that I came from upper burmese where day temperature is higher than any other places in Myanmar. Again I hope to change my room sooner or later. But it really took me several months until some illegal workers return Myanmar for their correction process. My bed room is my dinning room and dressing room as well. I don't have so much place to refresh myself. TV lah? funny enough,,,no entertainment in the hostel. But there is one room in which Thailand National stay. His room has so many electronic appliance and he's very kinded person and sometime he allowed us to watch. What a pity people are we?

Another thing makes me itchy are staying together with the illegal workers who are diagnosed as a Hipa-B. As you have known about this disease, it is highly dangerous disease to spread nearby people and easy to infect. So I rush to clinic to get a dose to prevent possible infection despite the cost is expensive. In the kitchen, we have only one set of utensil and they are actually owned by our senior colleagues who had returned home and left their property. They are not provided by our beloving company. But we find it hard to deal when the time come to prepare foods. Being a low paid workers, we can't afford to buy outside foods and usually we all cook at hostel kitchen. Sometime we enjoy foods that are sent by our beloving families.

There are two bath rooms that combine with toilet. It is not good enough for a people of 20 around at the early morning before going to work. But we managed to overcome these situation. We all need to pay RM-4 per month for water & electric bills. The rest balance would be paid by employer. Later our employer claimed to pay 50% of bills while they keep cutting RM-4.00 from our salaries. So we, engineers, protect not to follow their order to pay half bill. Other flatmates are not dare to refuse employer's instruction and they paid whatever employer demand. When we resisted to comply their order, the lady boss asked us not to stay at hostel and she'ld say she don't care wherever we are going to stay. We respond by saying that we don't want to work here anymore and please send us back to our country. We keep this sentence whenever she treated us badly. We realised that she doesn't afford to send us back because we, all engineers, are working so hard and performing a key area in preparing tender, claims, certificate with monthly basic. So we dare to protest upon their unfair matters.

When we still resist to pay that, she'll fine us RM5, 10, 15, etc and still refuse she'll order chief to cut foods for us and we'll need to prepare foods ourselves or buy outside foods. If we still managing to dare that, she won't hesitate to cut water and electricity by not paying bill to authority in time. When the bills are not paid, the authority is going to cut water & electricity until it is served. When water & electricity cut, we have no water at hostel to cook and even to take a bath or wash our faces early morning. But we don't mind it and we'll bring our tooth-brush and past to office and wash our face and brush our teeth at office. We go to nearby community club to take a bath by giving RM-1.00 for using swimming pool. For laundry service, we go another dorm where our fellow citizens are staying in. Later we got bed and they are double decker bed and we enjoyed to use them. The most disappointing thing was lady boss place one Burmese traitor at the hostel and he'ld report whatever we do in hostel.

More than enough to experience a good place at oversea? We are trying to happy despite the place is look like a hell by visiting our friends place who are working in the other company and other towns. We are not happy in our very own company and dorm. We worked under pressure at office and we live under watchful eyes at dormitory. How can we find a proper and peaceful life in such places? Anyway I am grateful my previous employer for making me a mature person and giving me a tough life training within 3 years time. Luckily I am able to work in Singapore right now and all the matter above are disappeared as a dream. I look forward I won't encounter such condition in my life again.

IN FACT, OVERSEA ARE NOT A PARADISE AS WE THINK BEFORE WE ACTUALLY GO THERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment