Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Salary Battleship, Final Round


THE FOLLOWING DAY, April 9, 2005, Saturday, I am told by office staff to go and wait for a second meeting with another directors. So my friend and I go to the meeting room and wait with excited and nervous. My friend was sitting interview with MD when the interview was held in Sedona Hotel, Yangon. So I asked him what did MD promise him during interview stage because I didn't attend that interview personally. I was attending GTC for my degree study. He cannot speak properly and he requested me to go ahead and explained me all he had experienced during interview time. Moment later, the people came in meeting room and I notice that there is no HR manager among the group. They are
1) Mr. Han (Director who is brother of lady boss as well as lawer graduate)
2) Mr. Yap (MD who is also boss)
3) Mr. Roney (Account Officer)
Mr. Han is the one who came and picked up at the KLIA on the day we arrive to Malaysia. He's one of director and he established his own lawer firm. He also read his law practise in UK like his sister (HR manager). He is more than 2 times bigger than my size and taller as well. As we are not strange each other and he seem preside today meeting. I stand up to show respect when they come in:

MH: it's ok, u can sit (He seems angry and talk wildly)
me : thanks, nice to meet you again, Sir
MH: what happen to you yesterday?
me: I just explained HR manager what I was told by agent before I come here.
MH: whatever your agent told you, we don't care, OK
me : a bit silent while starring at his eyes
MH: we don't recognize your degree and you have to comply company law
me: yes I know
MH: we'll give you as other people earn
me: but I'm not a general worker, Sir
MH: soooo
me: I can't agree with the same wages they earned
MH: so how much do you expect us to offer?
me: I expect as per contract document.
MH: what do you mean contract? (by hitting table for 3-4 times)
me: I made a contract with agent before I came to Malaysia. I want u to respect the terms
MH: where is it? show me
me: by pulling out document from my plastic file and handed over him
MH: he quickly read the contract I gave him (A moment silent and whisper with a/c officer by showing him. MH seeks help from a/c officer and he told him by chinese language for a few minute). I was excited upon what they reply on contract terms and conditions.
MH: this is imitate, not ours
me: how come your boss's sign & letter head then?
MH: it can be created on black market, it's not our problem, it's u and ur agent relationship
me: ok, then why did your boss(MD) promised us during interview in Yangon?
MH: what did he promise you?
me: he offer a site supervisor post with RM-1350 + OT.
MH: (by seeing at MD and asked) Did you say so, Mr. Yap?
MD: hmmm,,,,immm,,,,it had been long time and I forgot that. let me check with my note book.
MH: do you have your calling visa copy?
me: yes here it is
MH: do you know what does it meaning? (by showing designation that is written by malaysia)
me: I don't understand that, translate it for me
MH: it's called construction worker.
me: is it?
MH: So you are granted to work here as a construction worker and you are supposed to get a general worker wages.
me: but I don't want to work if I am offered worker wages
MH: this is KL, not myanmar
me: yes I know
MH: calling myanmar and singapore agent by his hand phone and score them infront of me.
I still don't know what will happen after his talking to agent. In fact I was worried to be sent back despite I insist I wanna go back if I cannot get the salary I want. After calling to agent, he turn to me and continue
MH: we offer you RM-1000 as a basic salary
me: OK I cannot work here with that salary and please let me return home
MH: then you will lose your agent fees?
me: I'll put the agent in the jail after I get back home.
MH: is it that easy?
me: yes of course, I'm a relative of high ranking military officer. If they don't return my money, then I'll send them in the jail.
MH: but you need to get a cert from UK/US to get what you demand.
me: If I have such a kind of cert, I won't come to Malaysia.
MH discussing with MD by chinese language and come up with a new offer.
MH: Alright we'll offer you a best salary of RM-1400 now. It's our last offer and you still don't want it, go back on tuesday. I let you think for two day. Give me your answer on coming Monday. If yes, you continue, If No, you go back your country with tuesday flight.
me: thanks for your offer, sir
MD: being office worker, you got a staff food and a good accomodation, they are worth of RM-1000 a month, you know. So altogether your salary is RM-2400 ready. It's good what?
me : yes I hope so, Sir

By this way, my salary raised to RM-1400 from their basic pay RM-450. Thanks myself for able to talk english to communicate with them. I also surprise myself for able to communicate despite I was struggling with the way they talked. Being a lawer and professional men, they can talk english fluently and frankly I couldn't able to understand for some words and I try to calm myself during the temper is high. Finally I gain something from this battle unless it is for 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment