Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Salary Erosion


BEFORE I went to Malaysia for oversea job, I was walking on the moon by calculating my oversea job earning. Agent would come out by saying as I can get at least RM-1350 + OT if I work on site and RM-1800 fix salary if I am needed to work at office. So she calculated my monthly wages by assuming at least RM-1800 and exchange rate Ks-200/RM.
WOW so much money it was,

the expected salary = 1800 x 200 = 360,000 Ks

what a good salary for a Myanmar engineer who currently earn only 50,000 Ks per month? She also highlighted that I could earn more if I can work on site because sometime OT money is as much as salary. I was so happy with the prospect of supporting my family well that time. But it went wrong totally after I arrived to KL and nobody take responsibility for that but myself. I paid 1,350,000 Ks to agent for this oversea job and it was so much to my family. But there is no way to go out of my land for foreign job.

My foreign employer selected me to work at the office and I thought my salary would be RM-1800 as my agent said before. But they really can offer to me as my basic salary was only RM-450 during probation period. As I had said on previous post, I fought for my salary and fortunately I got RM-1400 finally. The problem is this salary is not net amount I can enjoy because there are so many hidden cutter to my wages. Actually I must say it my daily wages because it come out twice a month and we cannot deserve any leaves. So our wages were counted based on how many we worked. According to them, "No Working No Money" as well as "No punch No Money". Some days we forgot to punch our time card and at the end of month, Account dept will cut our salary for not punching.

OK let me calculate my income for your knowledge;
My salary = 1400
Less keep money = 600 (they cut this until RM-2500 per year)
Less PUB bill = 4
Net salary = 796
Net salary by Ks = 796 x 200 = 159,200 Ks

There would be other annual fees to be cut from our salary are;

Levy fees: 1200
Process fees: 50
work permit fees: 60
Visa fees: 19.50
keep money : 750
medical fees: 300 x 2 (In fact, we need to check up only once a year, but they cut for twice)
service charge: 300

So at the end of the month, we are so disappointing with a thin wages pack. Sometime we need to wait two month to send back our wages to our family because we have to make sure send back money is not less than agent's minimum transfer amount. We are supposed to get our wages pack twice a month on mid and end of the month. But 1st half usually come after 25 of the month and 2nd half come after 10 days of the month. It's mean company keep our money as long as 10 days and above. But we need to restrain our mind and we became a super-patient workers amidst counterparts of other countries. If you have never been working in Malaysia, then you'll never know how good employers are in Singapore. You might think that you owe a lot to S'pore for covering you and shielding your right. For me is seeing both sides of hell and paradise makes me understand the value of life and people. Let's hope for a better tomorrow together with a good society that can distribute all people equal chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment