Monday, October 12, 2009

Site office that I supervised first ever

AFTER temporary nga moe yeik market project, we are preparing for permanent market project. But some shops are not yet moved out or some are still moving their properties. So we can do other site-related activities such as measuring actual plot dimension, sketching the site plan in which show the location of site office, well, worker's shalter, contractor's workshop, etc. We started to dismantle the existing fence and reconstruct the high fence that are painted and mentioned the project and company name. Also need to manage to clear the side-drain to make sure the water are well drain when the rain come. And strengthen them not to collapse when the heavy water drain through.
THE preparation included appointing new employees and redraw new organization. Usually recruitment were made by only Boss who is an Architect and well known contractor as well. Majorly he appointed are his old employees who were working under his former company. Another major task for him is to adjust existing salary format because he paid more than market price in the previous project. He made it purposely because the previous project, temporary market project, was needed to be finished within very short time. So he must attract an engineers and workers by giving a good salary and wages. It's usual for a contractor bcz he can't be successful without a good strategy.
WE also acknowledged the salary adjustment when we were interviewed at first time. So we can't expect a better or ever the same salary despite we have became a permanent staff. One day I heard a strange news that I am going to be fired by company bcz of one director's complain. I can't believe my ear once I hear that. I asked myself "what did I do wrongly?" I can't see/ recall any one that matter to me. But I can think is it must be the group of contractors who didn't like me during previous project time. In fact the director who complain to sack me is working as a store manager in site. He is geologist and according to him, he had some good experience with construction industry after he graduated from university. So he take one position and work on site like MD.
THE source he don't like me is bcz of my open-minded and close to boss ear. I am also taking quantites for site needs and also involved in receiving goods that come in. The problem is he cannot do what he likes when it come to purchase and deal with suppliers. Boss assigned me to calculate construction material quantities and order to cheap supplier. So my job incl to survey the job market. But I noticed that these director wants to make profit for his personal by taking commission. As you know, you have to pay expensive if you want to get commission from suppliers. I pointed out such a case to boss and boss remind him not to repeat. On the other hand, goods supplier used to give worse quality than we paid quality. At that time, I return them if I found the quality are not meeting the tender stage quality. So he, director, don't like me as I am much look like cop rather than an engineer. So he make friend with contractors who don't like me as well. Contractors have no right to kick a permanent staff out but he can. So he collected all my weak-points from these lousy and bad contractors. And when he got enough cases, he started to fight me by submitting to boss. Luckily boss gave me a chance to save my job. It's nothing but to construct site office myself.
ACTUALLY boss likes me so much and he don't want to sack me anymore. But on the other hand he had to take action upon another director's complains. According to complains, I am not good enough to be an engineer bcz I don't know how to manage labours or how to build a bldg. So I shd be fired in favour of company's long term profit. Also they accused me that I am master at pretending infront of boss and no working after boss is away. So boss decided to test me by asking to build site office under my idea. It become my real challenges and I have to take it if I want to save my life. The contractor I have to work together is also one of my dislike ppl. But I tried to do my best so that boss can understand how worthy I am.
Boss outlined me how the site office should include and look-liked. Some are as follow:
1) it must be 2 storey bldg
2) corridor in front
3) one bed room for engineers
4) one rest room for MD
5) one meeting room
6) one dinning room
7) one store room
8) one store-keeper room
After taking outlines, I started to draft and estimated the necessary materials. Then ordered to purchase in time and show the place of piling. I have to finish this within one month. Actually I am not familiar to build such a kind of bldg at that time. But I keep asking question to my friend's sisters who are also engineers and well experience at that time. So I need to go visit their hostel at the evening time to ask whatever I encounter problem. Sometime I need to ask for tomorrow job as I don't know how to check worker's job and how to command them. At that time they would happily explain to me till I understand. I need to read some books that can clear my confusion with supervision. The carpenter would ask me how to do this, what to do next, although they know well. They want to test me all the phase and they'ld be happy if I am lacking to answer their questions. Sometime they would drop something when I am walking under their working place. So I need to take extra care and push them so that it can be finished in time.
BY THE TIME I was building the site office, other engineers incl my frds are doing other easier thing, such as supervising at construction of fence and pegging and dismentaling some places. No matter I find it interesting to work and focus on my job. I did my best and fortunately I could able to finish in time and saved my job. This is my first ever test to save the job. I do please to stay at the site office and have been relied by boss in someway. Few days I finished my site office, Boss started to adjust our existing salary. It' was very exiting day for us. We all are sitting at the same place beside boss's room. When the scretary call one name, one ppl enter and see boss for his new salary. We wanted to know how much our salary would be trimmed. The different would be less or much. I am not the first one to be called. It was one of my friend who enter the boss room to be judged. We asked him when come out of room, he sightly say,,,9,000 Ks, then we are happy to learn that not much less. When my turn come, I go in and boss say I like you more than other, guy. So would you mind if I less a bit? I say no, sir. I give you 500Ks more than what your friends got, OK?. I say ok, sir. Then my salary is trimmed only 500Ks to 9,500Ks that is supposed to say good enough at that time for a less experience engineer.
By getting 500Ks more than other engineers, I'm happy to get rewarded by boss. But I'm still exiting with the foundation work of very big bldg bcz I have no experience with foundation job. In my first ever company, I started work from ground beam and don't know how to work / construct at foundation footing at RC bldg. So we learn dwgs and started to ask my frd's sisters to make clear understanding. By this way, I again overcome the obstacles of my career to step forward...
What a wonderful experience is it ?

No comments:

Post a Comment