Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Initial stage of 100 acres peddy project

NEXT DAY boss and I went to the actual site for review and met three captains who are working at the training school and they all graduated from Pyinmana(Yesin) Agri-University. Since they got information from their minister and they welcome us and assisted in what we needed. We draft the items to do as follow:

1) clearing the suitable place for company office
2) recruiting the workers in both permanent basic and temporary basic
3) deal with local carpenter for office and related structure
4) purchase the required construction material
5) purchase the machines we need in cultivating
6) enquiry the peddy seeds with the help of farmer and captains

For sure, I am only one person who need to do all the list and automatically became manager of this project without doubt. Boss asked me to shift my things to army quarter tomorrow and do all necessary items. He requested captains to give me a room in their bachelar quarter and I was needed to stay with them for a period before my temporary office is finished. There are so many challenges in every items since I have no experience with this kind of business. The assignment I am given is totally alien to me and I have to overcome this.

I need to consider workers (farmer and daily wages) salary and wages and it's not easy to do so. If my offer is low, I can't get a necessary workers and it'll make us difficult in starting project. On the other hand they(villagers) demanded me a better salary than usual as they realise we don't know current market price. This is really challenges to me to decide within a relatively short period. The site is nearby hmaw bi township and there are about 5 villages around my site. I expected the villagers would be honest and simple at first. Later I understand that they are not at all like upper burmese villages. Since they are near to the yangon, they are modernized in most area and they have a lot rooms to be spent with money. So their life-style change accordingly. Anyway I choose two permanent farmers with the recommendation of captain. One is karen ethnic and another is burmese. But I have to hire so many daily wages workers from nearby villages and asked them to supervise them in what they working. I don't know in their nature of work and mostly rely on these two farmers. I can say they, two ppl, became my adviser at early stages.

Beside farmers and workers, I have to employ for machine drivers and office staffs. After building my site 2 story office, I started to bring in tractor drivers from yangon and they brought in together with their wife. So their wife automatically become in staff who cook for our foods and also buy food items in market with daily basic. Since the rain is already arrived, we have no time to waste time and we tried to repair the plot by clearing wild grass, weed, etc and make sure all boarder lines are strong enough to retain water when rain fall down. I am busy with negotiating with the village heads for hiring workers when I started to cultivate.

Amazingly I focus on things and started to settle. I try to read agricultural book at night and some occasion I need to ask captains for their advice. Luckily they help me in what I need and they requested me to hire their students with daily basic. So I could able to return their gratitude by agreeing their request. My office is located admist of big trees (thi ho) and surrounding area is so messy. So we found snakes oftenly and at night we can able to rely on battery light until I could get the electricity. We invested a vast amount of money in the earlier stage and we don't know what are awaiting to spend ahead. Fortunately my boss gave me all necessary money to make this project successful. Actually, the farms are wild and sandy soil and so it'ld be difficult to change it fertile soil within a short time. During army control time, they don't cultivate for all 100 acres farm as they unable to risk with losing investment. So they only plant on the bank of small stream. There is a small stream at the middle of the farms and the farms are not plain enough to plant peddy. It makes us double burden in retaining water. As u know, water is essential in planting rice and we need to change a lot to make sure they are good enough to retain water.

Since I get there, I have no time to take a break and always worry about with the outcome of this project. As I know how much we already invested in this project and I must do my best so that I can give back money to my boss. One lucky is boss always encourage me by saying that "don't worry about money, if we can finish this project successfully, it is fine", so I felt a bit ease and on the other hand I want to retrieve the money we invested in this project. I don't know how much this take me to get end. I might have to study in new chapter and try to forget I was an engineer before. I don't know when can I escape from this and just hope all the best of this project.

IF YOU WERE IN MY SHOE, WILL YOU FOLLOW MY STEP?

No comments:

Post a Comment