Friday, October 9, 2009

My second project

I joined new company few days after interview. In the early days, my friend and I went to job from previous site office as we haven't resigned yet officially and also didn't let them know that we already grab a new job. But it took us about a week. After we are given our last salary, we declared about our new job and they are happy to know about our situation.
Our new project is far different from previous project. We did R.C Bungalow in the previous site and now we need to build only brick nogging building that are also single storey. Actually this project is for temporary market for the San Pya Market, Thin gun gyun Tsp. So the project is called temporary nga moe yeik san pya market project. So we are far relax to do it compare to our previous RC project that are alien to us. Indeed, we are familiar with only brick nogging buildings and we also able to learn and draw this kind of building. Anyway there are some rooms to be learned and upgrade our deficiency in construction knowledge.
There are about 11 Buildings to be constructed within one month period. So the time is relatively short and we need to rush at all time and even need to work at night time. But we don't mind to work long hour because we are paid for that. We are also given very nice and delicious foods onsite. MD is again well known man in the construction field and he is quite familiar with us although we are pretty junior and inferior to him. For instance, we eat together at lunch and dinner time. Early morning he'ld come and take us some place to enjoy breakfast with him. How much we can expect from a boss? He is more than good enough, right? The better he is, the harder we are. We want to make him relax by doing our job finished in time and handover to authorities.
The major obstacles I found there is relationship with very old and senior contractors who have been working with Boss for so many years. So they know boss well and they know how to give complains and ask money to boss. In front of boss, they'ld say yes only and their faces are sugar-coated face with open mouth without closing. Boss is happy to talk with them and he'll always support what they demand for jobs. No matter how much they claims or ask for advance money. Boss is not an ordinary man and he is an Architect who have been working in Singapore for more than 11 years. So he has a lot experience about construction and u might want to ask me then why he's so good to its contractors.
In fact Boss is not alien to local construction industries. He built very high-end govt projects
such as 8-mile junction hotel, 9-mile golf-course, malitary pavillion, Sule Pagoda terrace shop and Thein Gyi Market, etc. He lost his reputation after Thein Gyi Market Project and he disappear from construction industries after finishing it. So this time is his return to save his reputation in construction industries and fight with different company name. His new company name is "Nagani Construction Group" that is my current employer. No matter company name for me and I'ld be happy as long as I can gain money and experience by time. So he, my boss, is re-gathering his old contractors and he's good at everything they need so that they can follow his project to help him finish in time. The problem usually come with me because I want to be exact at work. Alternatively I want to follow drawing or theory that I studied in my institute. But as u have known, the contractors want to make profit as much as possible and they don't want to make it quality. It is out of their business and they'll simply do it if there is no inspection. I am the one who always want to stay at site and monitoring what they are doing and checking on time. So whatever I found mistake, I hold the job and repair first before it's continue.
So I became the enemy of contractors and they started to critize me and later they organize and go to Boss to complain about me. At that time, I'm quite fresh engineer and I'ld stand on the right side and I'ld never consider that I was doing wrong onsite. So I am not afraid to confront any arguments. They'ld complain to boss by saying as follow:
contractors : we don't want to do anymore at ur site, Sir.
Boss : why? any problems
contractors : yes of course, the young engg: is a main barrier to our progress.
Boss : How?
contractors : he'ld come and point out very small/minor error and asked my workers to repair. It makes us delay in our progress and struggling to catch schedule.
Boss : a bit silent and immmmm, I'll call and ask him later,,,go back work
contractors : contractors return with thumb up
Boss ask somebody to bring me to office.
Boss : Are you ok with working here?
Me : yes I am, sir
Boss : any problem at site?
Me : it's fine, so far so good, but need to add some more man power to catch schedule i think
Boss : I know how good you are and hard you are, but.....
Me : but what sir, wht did i do wrongly?
Boss : nothing wrong, my little engg:, do you know we have very little time to finish this project?
Me : yes I do , sir
Boss : Well, I want you to ignore some mistakes that are not threaten to bldgs.
Me : what do you mean sir? I'm not clear
Boss : I mean do not inspect much frequently when they, contractors, are working
Me : sadly reply,,,alright sir, I'll try to follow your suggestion
Boss : Have you finished your lunch now?
Me : not yet, sir
Boss : lets enjoy together with me...don't go back site, time to have lunch now....
Me : alright sir, thanks
Boss asked me to call my friend and join our lunch table.
Boss : Thanks for hard working, I like you all
We : we also happy to work at your company, sir
Boss : Do you have any friends here?
We : Yes we do, why sir?
Boss: I want to employ some more engineers
We : we can bring in our friends and we guarantee that they are hard working and honest, sir,
Boss : good, take them as soon as possible
We : alright sir, we do our best
Boss : talking other matters and finished our lunch
At the same evening, we happily inform to our friend who is still working in previous company and he is despatched to one industrial park by the sea. He was so happy to learn the news and next day he follow us to site. And we introduce him to boss and boss immediately appoint him and start work at the same day. At that time, there are 3 engineers in site and he is latest collection. So now we 3 frd engineers and another engineer who is still studying at YTU and haven't finished yet his study to graduate. We are given the buildings and need to take care and supervise respective bldgs.
Another one I like to work that company is we get the commission from the gravel supplier. We got 10% from their bills and share all engineers. Boss used to tell them, suppliers, my engineers are using your construction goods and so you are able to sell us. So they deserve to get this 10% amount. The supplier also agree that and seems never mind. We are normally given that commission money at the same day and we got that as an incentive or bonus. Other staffs who are not engineers are not happy to see that bcz they are not included in sharing. In this point, our boss is a bit favour to engineer as he is also engineer I think.
By this way, we are going through day by day and approach to final days. The problem is late schedule and it seems cannot be finished ontime. The major prob is shortage of window chocket carpentary works. The carpenter contractors are making them onsite and they have few workers to do them. When we asked them to increase man power, they'll argue us by saying that we cannot afford to give a lot wages to so many workers. I say if you finish more, you can claim more and doesn't need to worry about that. The matter is you have to make sure work done also increase when you increase man power. But they never follow my suggestion and I inform to boss about the delay.
Boss have no idea but worry to solve the problem. One day evening, I request boss to tell something and he allowed me.
Me : I don't think we can finish the bldg in time.
Boss : I also thinking that, wht do u think of delay
Me : obviously, it's labour deficiency
Boss : they, contractors, are not increasing their work force?
Me : yes, I timely suggest them and they keep the same workforce, I think they have no workers extra to add in.
Boss : hmmmmm, what shd we do then?
Me : I have an idea to make it possible
Boss : what is that? tell me quickly
Me : I have carpenter engineer who do carpentary works by machine
Boss : wow, I'm interesting to see him, can you bring him here?
Me : I'm not sure as we don't meet long time ready now
Boss : any contact no do u have?
Me : No sir, but I once visited his home and still remember where is it
Boss : delightfully, ok, I'll ask somebody to drive you there
Me : good idea, sir, when?
Boss : now is the best time, go ahead
Me : with whom, can i go there?
Boss : Tun Aung Kyaw,, who is stood beside us and as well as mini boss and director
Me : lets go brother
We went to Tar Kay Ta tsp to search my friend's home. Luckily we could manage to find his home and found my frd's brother and tell about our case. He also engineer and leader of their family biz and we are happy to make some agreement and took him to site to see boss.
Boss was happy to see the carpenter contractor we brought in. He wasted no time and show green light to start work as soon as possible. The following day, the contractor came to site with 10 wheels truck with full of machines. We are so delighted to see the truck and man power of new contractor. They arrived in evening time and worked the whole night and carry on. Two days later they all done all required shop-door chockets and handover to store man. Boss was so happy to see them finished ahead of schedule. And he, contractor, gave me 10,000 Ks for pocket money. Actually he gave me for my part in making deal I think. Anyway anyhow I took it and happy to earn more. He then greeted me and left site for his factory-like home. We, luckily finished our project in time luckily and I am so happy to help my boss in someway and I do understand the power of having many friends.
Now, I have been some experience on job and people relationship from this two short term projects. On the other hand, I have been more friends and may be enemies around my community. But we all happy to finish this project successfully and boss is walking on the moon I think....Hopefully I am not fired at the end of project bcz we were appointed for this rushing project......We don't know when we can start next permanent project yet. Wish and pray hard not to change my employer again.........

No comments:

Post a Comment