Monday, October 12, 2009

Me and Mini Boss

MY NEW COMPANY is made of several directors who are dhamma friends each other as well. But there is only one director who knows about construction well. He automatically became MD and he is key player among board. So I met a lot directors and noticed that some are business man and some are uneducated man. But there are usually only 3 directors are concerned with us with daily basic incl MD. Another two is one who proposed MD to sack me and he is working as a store manager. The last one is uneducated man and he's just coming to the office see around only. But he is the second largest share holders and contractors used to call him mini boss. I think he is happy to be called as mini boss among site peoples.
I called him brother as he is still a young man, at his mid 30s, by the time I met him. He is uneducated man but he is curious with ppl doing. I am assigned as site quantity surveyor (QS) by MD after he learned that I am strong at estimating. So I could able to work at office at working time. My friends are not allowed to stay at office during working time and so I got the chance to familiar with directors than others. He, mini boss, noticed my manner and he seems like to me for my fighting spirit with contractors. I am the one who used to fight with contractors for their mistakes and doing bad. So they, contractors, are scared to me when I go around the site for inspection. I am asked to make sure quality is maintained by boss and boss gave me full power for that. I could cut their bill if I am not satisfy with their workdone. And I am given a camera to record and also I have a spirit level to check with vertical and horizontal align works. The spirit ruler is made of aluminium and long 4 ft. So it makes me feel a bit safe to protect myself from fighting with workers.
I had several times to confront with site workers with disorder. They never don't like if I ask them to repair with sth they had done wrongly. At that time, we are going to exchange words and thing become worse if they insist not to do my instruction. In fact, I am still young, about 21 years old, and a bit proud to be an engineer I think. Actually I want to see a good workdone and I just ask them to follow theory/ drawing. It's major and common problems in my country's construction business I think. And every junior will experience the same just like me. The difference would be only less and much. So it's very important to meet with a good leader/ engineer at the very junior stage of our engineer career. We are lucky if we see and able to work at good management company. Otherwise our mind would be systematically destroyed. After used to with wrong method, we might think that the wrong is right and we'll never know what is our position.
This young director, mini boss tried to approach me and associate with me. For me, being a friend of him is a good sign because I must have somebody to protect me when another director attack me in term of some knowledge. He used to come site at night time and usually he bring us, only engineers, and enjoy at some restaurant. He did it purposely bcz he want to become friend of us. Later he asked me to teach some engineering words and amazingly he's very serious to learn that. So I teach him at night time and he asked me not to tell others about this. What he wanted to know about construction is very easy for me bcz they all are fundamental. eg.
1) what is the meaning of concrete?
2) what are consist inside concrete?
3) how to call sand, gravel, cement? ( he want to know by english, by saying myr words)
By this way, we both became closer than others. He always bring me wherever he go and later he learnt that we have no proper room at site to live in. So oneday he asked me to live in his spare house that is close to his residential flat. So we happily move out that house and he transport us everyday in going work and return home after working time. Later he'll became my own boss 2 year later I think.
At that time, he is newly weds and he wanted to visit upper burmese. So he asked me to guide in going upp burmese. The time was 1998, April, we got thingyan festival holidays and he choose these days to visit upp burmese. So we went together upp burmese and I could introduce him with my family members. It was the first time we return home since we go down ygn for job. My family is happy to see us coming with private car and he and his wife stay at hotel. Our travel plan included Bagan, Nyaung Oo, and Poppa. So we spent a few days at hotel with the expense of himself and we built our relationship better.

No comments:

Post a Comment