Monday, October 26, 2009

Ethnic Workers and ME..

THE PROJECT was located on the hills and amidst forest. So we suffer labour shortage and tried to fulfill the void with local residents. The region is called Than Taung (Than Mountain) area and within the territory of Karen State. Being hilly region, the transportation is very difficult and contractors from yangon don't want to go these rural area without significant benefit/profit for them. So company bring some group along with us and as a result we suffer labour shortage. On the other hand, we need to hand over this project before Army Day (March-27). The govt wanted to open this army high-ranking officer training school coincident with Army's most important day. So the authorize person from GE also push private sector like our company. So my duty is to make sure all the workdone are met with their construction schedule. It's not easy to comply some rule when I am given less skill labours and general workers. Working condition around the hill slope made me additional burden and I tried to cope it by doing my best.
LOCAL resident used to come and apply for daily wages job and we usually rely on them as no other choice for us. They are from nearby village and they just wanted to see what we are doing only. They actually don't need money as they have nothing to spend and they earn well from their own tea leave firm. Anyway we thanks them to come and join our work force being daily wages workers. I am given usually around 30 people for my site that include two terrace quarter, each consist about 5 units if I am not mistaken. The hill slope gradient height is about 1000 ft and the construction store and materials are sitting on the top of hill. So I have to make sure the necessary material are getting in time to the skilled worker's working area. Skilled workers mean mason carpenter and rebar bender who are from yangon sub-contractor.
THE WORK IS NOT easy to run smoothly as the material supply is sometime interrupted. I managed local people to stand side by side on the slope of hill and hurdle the material hand to hand. They first few days doing it properly and my work is progress. The local ppl are all Karen ethnic and also they are Christian religious ppl. So every sunday they don't come to work for sunday school/church. They don't care how much we pay for penalty for sunday works. They'll only happily go to church for their religious-related activities. It's out of my control and I realise I have to do work with the few myanmar workers who are from our sub-contractor.
THE problem come few days later as they understand the nature of construction work with mass labours. They are quite honest at first days and I do appreciate that to see an innocent ppl in my works. But it's not long lasting and change dramatically few days later. My mason and carpenter started to complain me for abscenting material supply. So I detect the source and I found the reason is because of them, my ethnic workers who are not intend to work as hard as before. They wanted to take a break / rest time more often them before and material supply breakdown. Because mason can continue work when they supply brick and motar and water. If they stop their carry work and the material are not arrived in time. After I understanding that matter, I started to score them for frequently take a rest without my permission. They would glace/star me if I told them angrily. It's my right to supervise and give instruction during the working time, and I won't hesitate to score anybody if they failed to comply discipiline.
SOME of my friends will come and remind me not to score them if they are not willing to work and suggest me let them rest. I demand for reason and he would say they might be from rebel army as rebal man has no label on head. It is a bit concern to me and I try to pretend not to afraid for that as they are working under my site. One officer from army onday showed me the camp of rebel who are located on the other hill opposite site of our sides. We can see their makeshift camp even with our bare eyes. I was amazed by the time he explained me that they are karen rebel. It's realistic what he said is because I could hear gun-shot sound and bomb exploring sound at night until dawn. I didn't know where does it come from first. Later I realised that I am working at the war zone that are not completely safe. I do understand why ppl don't want to come this project at that point.
I KEEP MY DRIVING force to my ethnic workers whenever I see them lazy. Some days they even bring guitar to site and they will play guitar on lunch break time. It's ok to allow to play at lunch time, the problem is some ppl play guitar on working hours. I hate to hear music at working time and would blame/score if I found them. So among engineers, I became the target man and hate figure to them day by day. I know that and I felt that I am doing it right as I never demand to them more than what it should be. Hoping they'll understand my situation oneday and I continue keeping my standard. So workers don't want to work my side as they realise they cannot be ease if they need to work under my supervision. So early morning they'll complain to labour controller not to send them to my site continuously..What a bitter experience to know that ppl don't want to come and work to my site?
By this way I could reach the final stage of construction and our office staffs started to collect local present, mainly fine tea leaves, for return home. Most of them got present from local workers who are working under their site for free charges and nobody gave to me like that. After understanding the situation, oneday I called a female worker and asked if her house sell tea leave or not. When she say yes, I gave her money and asked her to give me fine one for present. She took my money and following day she bring tea leave for me. At that evening, when I arrive back office with tea leave package, my staffs are saying that "wow, you also finally get tea leave present?" , I smily replied to them, "it's not FOC, I paid for that",,and they smile at me and keep spreading my news around the camp....
I AM SUCH A PEOPLE IN MY YOUNGER DAYS......:D

No comments:

Post a Comment