Tuesday, October 13, 2009

QS; the job I love

I officially became QS after my boss recognized my talent on estimating. To be honest, I didn't even know what is the meaning of QS. My boss explained me what does QS mean and how much QS's role are important for a project. My boss worked in S'pore for more than 10 years and he used to say about his oversea experience when things come coincidence onsite. So QS is not exceptional and he say that QS is the second most powerful after boss in S'pore. I realised the meaning of QS and dreamt to become a good QS oneday. I noted that QS mean quantity surveyor and it is one designated post within a company's organization chart. Traditionally myanmar engineers need to estimate as a part of their duties. And we used to call it estimating and it is one subject to be learned during our civil diploma course period.
So I got a new word and noted. Actually I don't know what are included in the QS's duties and responsibilities. In Myanmar, we, QS, used to estimate quantities and order for construction material. In some ocassion, QS needs to prepare for claims or check sub-con claims for certification. I don't think there is some more items to do for QS in myanmar. It may be short of my knowledge and to the best of my knowledge, it's right to say so. I have been a lot of engineer friends and I learnt what they need to do at their jobs. Conventionally only female engineers do QS work bcz it demand so much concentration and sit long hours at the office without moving. So their male-counterpart prefer to work on site being site engineer. Strangely I wanted to become a QS although I am a male engineer.
My boss used to remind me that please take care when you make calculation or payment. My profit is depend on your ball-point pen's tip. He teased me like that oftenly. He sometime explained me more detail that your one mistake can cost me a lot money. Being QS, we need to monitor the stock list and make sure the necessary materials are getting ready on site in time. Meanwhile we need to counter check with the supply and usage so that we can make wastage as less as possible. Sometime site workers used only good materials and they abandon default ones and it is major problem to maintain estimated quantity. So in some ocassion, we find that there have been enough quantity despite the work in progress. At that time, we need to check what had wrong and point out the weak point or mistake done by some ppl.
As boss said ahead, I am involved in every meeting as a key player because all materials list and data are maintained by me alone. So I felt comfort and satisfy being a QS and I slowly study the important things of a QS. At the same time, I love to work as a QS and I hoped to continue as the same post. My desire have been fulfilled by boss and he sometime taught me what I am weak. By this way, I became a quantity surveyor in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment