Thursday, October 25, 2012

You Understand ?

"YOU UNDERSTAND", the word my wife hate most at work. One day she told me that why people keep saying this bloody word so often regardless of whom they are speaking to. I answer, perhaps it is their habit by experience with construction foreign workers who are poor in communication, especially such incident can be easily found at HR manager/ staff because they have the most exposure with low level workers. She cautiously agreed with me but dispute not necessarily to specific rank. In fact, I also don't like this word if I am being told. I have to admit that we, Myanmarese, are poor at English proficiency level. However it didn't deter us to go and work at English speaking country like Singapore. The stupid working condition forced us out of country with the prospect of getting greener pasture. Indeed, here has much better opportunity for us. It is not the thing only my wife is facing at work. Most of my compatriots may find it the most difficult barrier to overcome work life crisis I think. 

Our colleagues probably double confirm if we fully understand with their speaking/instruction so that they can avoid bad consequence from misunderstanding. But sometime telling such words have surely bad ingredient. The action speak louder than words. One word, but different people has different tone in term of polite or rude. "You understand", on the other hand, is some form of underestimating or bullying or abusive or bully or attempt to put additional pressure in front of other professional people. Anyway, it would be difficult to avoid such incident as long as we need to work in English speaking countries. The mitigation effort however could be done by trying to improve our English skill at the same time. We have to assess our skill and accept as it is and seek the remedial process. I would rather take it lesson than a word of depression. I am hopeful that my wife will try to convert such unpleasant words to a strength of force to make her language skill up. I have to admit that I also a member of those struggling group.

No comments:

Post a Comment