Wednesday, October 10, 2012

DPM puzzle

LAST month, I attended two annual dinners held in RWS convention center. Both are considered nationwide event organized by contractor association (SCAL) and another one by institution of engineer, Singapore (IES). Coincidentally both events were held in the same venue which is RWS convention center. I never attended such large scale even previously. This time is first and happened to me twice within a couple week. First time SCAL's 75th annual dinner was attended by honorable guest, DPM Mr. Tharman. IES's 46th annual dinner was graced by another DPM Mr. Teo. Our Keller branch head also joined the dinner. He is not local born. He is from India and I think now getting SPR.

As we arrived earlier, our social Asia head was trying to chat with all attendees within our group. MD later join us. GM and most of PM also attending annual event to represent company. At one point, our Asia head suddenly raised question to Singaporean PM. The question is that "how many DPM in Singapore?". The young PM got first to answer and he gave wrong surprisingly. He said, "I think one." What a funny is it? Director continued to ask GM who is Malaysian with SPR, he answer even worse by saying "Is DPM mean Deputy Project Manager?. Eventually, director asked MD who is Singaporean and he easily able to answer correctly. What make me think is how come some Singaporean even don't aware their leaders. It show how Singaporean interested in their politic. I think there would be so many of similar cases among Singaporean. Despite I am foreigner, I easily know the answer of this question because I everyday read local newspaper on the go. I heard before that Singaporean do not read their paper because they rate them Alibaba as a mouth-piece of the government. I was hard to agree with them at first. But recent incident at annual dinner make me believe of Singaporean do not interest of their politic.

No comments:

Post a Comment