Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Are we real millionaire?

TODAY I am tagged by a friend for her own poem so called "M I Millionaire?". She wrote it as a feeling to reflect her colleague's remark. In term of Myanmar currency, she earns million Kyats as she is working in most developed nation of ASEAN family. Her foreign colleague remarks her as a millionaire after she is being told the exchange rate from S$ to Myanmar's Kyats. Actually, she is not wrong basically. In fact, we need to spend about half of our income for living, transportation, foods and others only if we make sure that we don't go shopping spree like locals does. Our people in Myanmar also think of the same way by seeing salary multiply with exchange rate. It is not in fact their problem because they don't know how much living cost here is expensive. Anyway being rated as a millionaire is a good feel factor at least for a moment being told I think. Depreciation of our currency make our hard earn saving worth less after less automatically.

I once read one day millionaire in a book. The author shared his experience while he was working in Philippine. He said, the Filipinos who work oversea come back to home and go shopping spree with their siblings like a real boss. They don't mind to spend their years of saving over night by staying on five stars hotel. They just want to feel like a real millionaire. No wonder Filipinos are known for social people. But this trend is completely different to other immigrant workers. We all knows what is the mission of working oversea. Hence, we save as much as possible by spending as less as possible. We, however, inevitably need to spend minimum spending of daily necessity cost. 

Recently I went back native village for couple week of holiday. The common question I encounter from around people was how much I earn in abroad. Under normal circumstance, it is not polite to ask such question though I am receiving it. I have to try to explain in order to avoid their miss-understanding that lead them feel over-impression on us. As a monk, I have to maintain not to tell lie as a very simply discipline of a monk among so many others. I got to explain them how much I could earn but how much I have to spend including paying taxes to both side governments. Then I could calculate the net income before personal spending for social activities. Anyhow, as a immigrant worker, I could able to spend much better than local people from my village. I could able to donate whatever I want to. It make me feel privileged as I am happy when I can give people something. I could feel responsible person when I could support people in need at my native village. I could donate some for my future/next life investment. Overall, working abroad make us feel some form of riches through different channels. I would like to emphasis to my friend's poem that it is good to be one day millionaire than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment