Monday, July 9, 2012

Costly "Yes"

MY wife and I usually sharing work problem in dinner time. She is currently working for ID (Interior Decoration) contractor. Her company is specialize in doing furniture and wardrobe for residential buildings. They started to expand their business from just furniture to interior decorator. As a part of their effort, my wife was being employed a year ago. So, most of ID projects would be assigned to my wife. There is another senior QS from Philippine in her company.

First in their history, they recently have been awarded big project by local developer. The project come a package together for some minor structures and overall interior decoration. It is 27 million contract sum and considered big enough for local SMEs who usually does a million cost projects. The Philippine senior QS was assigned for in-charge and my wife is responsible for podium part of hotel which is considered more complicated compare to typical rooms of main hotel. There were a lot emails flying in and out since tender stage. As a senior QS and in-charge of the project, the Filipino QS had to reply all questionnaires among others. In order get this project, their boss gave several discounts during tender interview stages.

As the company lack necessary management to handle a big job, there have been found a lot misconducted. One night, my wife told me that, we make a big mistake. How, I raised my sound eagerly. My senior replied "yes" to consultant's question on one particular job. So, what's happen to?, I continue to ask. It was a job of fire curtain which surround escalators of hotel lobby. Don't you consider the item? The tender drawing failed to show but BQ items include it. So, we didn't notice and taken into consideration for shop front roller shuttle doors. To clarify the matter, consultant QS sent out questionaries together with other uncertain items before making it contract. Then? My senior QS simply replied "yes, included". So..how does it affect? Consultant insists the contract sum included of those item. 

How much does it cost you?
It cost us "S$600,000".
Oh God, it's so expensive.
Yes, we all never do it before and oversee it.
Then, what can you do to solve the problem?
Nothing but request consultant to let us claim under VO.
Do you think they'll agree?
I don't think so, as we already answer "yes, included" without understanding thoroughly.
Hmmmmmm,,,I am helpless to continue.

My wife said, "I also feel guilty for this problem despite I am not the one who replied email to consultant". We both felt initially that consultant is wrong. But, we found the email letter today and we are motionless as the evidence come in favor of consultant. Don't know what the boss tell us when he knows the story. Meanwhile, we keep informs boss that it is not our problem as tender drawing failed to show it.

I wish them that may consultant later allow them to claim under VO.

No comments:

Post a Comment