Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A friend in grief

THERE are four QS in our office and all of them are compatriot. Of which, two of them are females and another two males including me. The females QS are most junior in our department. Yesterday, I received a call from one of female QS colleague to seek help for urgent air ticket. As she has been here for not long enough, she has no plan to return in this CNY long holiday time. Unfortunately, she received a message from her sister to return home immediately. The matter is about her father's serious health problem. She was apparent distraught in doing what to get air ticket for next day earliest flight. By the time she received her sister message was already 9:30pm and she still working at work.

She gave me a call to help getting from possible source. I tried to call agent from peninsular plaza and no answer. Hence, trying to browse online through airlines and upset to see all sold out. Fortunately, SIA airline has vacant seat and I bought a ticket for her. As there was a notice that traveler is not credit card holder, he/she may need to bring LOI to proof the purchase is valid. The problem is I already get back home and office is about 1 and half hour train ride away. Given time is not favorable to meet in the same night. I initially told her to send her airport next early morning. Later finding not necessary to verify credit card from some flatmates, I canceled to send her Changi. I'm relief only when she sms me that she has been through without any problem. However I had insufficient sleeping night but I am happy to help her successfully.

This afternoon, somebody called me to inform that my friend's father had been passed away since yesterday. The family members chose not to tell truth in order to avoid unnecessary grief and worrisome to their sister and daughter. This is exactly I expected to hear since I was being told last night by my friend. For men may come an men may go, but i go on forever, we read a poem during our high school days. I immediately wrote a letter of condolences to my friend through her email. Though she may not see my sympathy letter shortly, I hope she may find later and relax to know how her friends are taking care of her, especially during difficult time. I'm sadden by the passing of her beloved father of course. As I cannot do anything with what had happened to my friend, but I might have done something helpful for my upsetting friend for somewhat. I feel dutiful as a friend and this will say a lot for our long lasting friendship. Because, a friend in need is a friend in deed?

No comments:

Post a Comment