Friday, September 16, 2011

World-class service


IT is my surprise to see my driving license renewal process could be done less than half hour. In my recent trip back home, I needed to renew/extend my current driving license. Previously I used to ask agent to change it for me. However this time I am unable to repeat the same as before as there has been law change. The new law requires the holders to go in person for any traffic related services. Just before I return home, I passed Singapore's basic theory test for driving. The officer asked me to extend my current one as it's too close to expire at the moment. That's why I badly needed to change it during my recent trip.

This time trip back home bring three mission for me to be done during a couple weeks which are buying a flat, changing driving license and the most importantly celebrating my daughter's one year birthday in my home town. So I rate this license matter the most minor and didn't want to give much time. It was rainy afternoon and I am stuck in the room. Suddenly I decided to go driving license office for my license on around 3:00pm. With the fear of late, I took a taxi and arrive the office around 3:45pm. The taxi driver advised me how to go and he even guess I won't be able to get by today and have to return on tomorrow. I rushed to a main building through flooded road in the compound of the office. It is 2 storey building and I needed to ask another person for right place and reach license department on almost 4:00pm. I approached to a desk and inquiry to a staff.

Me : I want to renew my license.
Staff: already late, may be you can go and ask there (by pointing at another desk)
Me : Hi officer, am I able to change my license now?
Officer: Hmm,,,we are close on taking application form (by seeing her watch)
Me : How come close while the operation hour ends at 4:30pm?
Officer stars at me as my response is too confident and perhaps strange to her ears.
Me : I see bulletin board infront of the room showing 9:30am to 4:30pm.
Off : Ok, tell me what's your blood type.
Me : A+
Off : Hmmm,,,,what do you mean A+ ?
Me : A-positive
Off : We don't have such type in Myanmar.
Me : well then make it A, lah
Officer takes a form and fill up for me in the attempt of saving time.
Off : give me 5,000
I gave her the amount she ask for.
Me : anything else?
Off : it's done, you may go sit and wait for collection
Me : alright, thanks
I took a chair which is nearby and able to see the officer and read a book. A few minute later I got talking on my handphone with my sisters. People around seems looking at me secretly, I feel. So after I talk, I take a snap by mobile phone camera. I noticed one young staff nearby go and tell officer for my action. I was actually nervous with what I have done and waiting for consequence while I maintain my calmness by reading a dhamma book. A few minute later, officer raised her hand and signal me to come. I approached her and ask for calling. She asked me to sign on my application form of driving license. I asked her if there is any problem with my over due of expiration date. She said no problem and seem hesitation with waiting time. She even told me that she's trying to get director's signature and she'll pass it to me asap. I notice her action is not normal. She might have thought I am someone from authority or intelligent. Anyway, I got advantage from her wrong judging. In real world, there is no such thing to treat an applicants so politely by an officer like her. I am a bit strange in mind and even want to laugh.

A few minute later, she told her staffs not to go back early as all must clean the office today. She told loudly so as I can hear her voice, I think. Then, she went in a room and get out to me together with my new smart card. I was really surprised with my card as I thought I'ld need to come back tomorrow for collection at least. I saw a lot people queuing for their name being called by officer for their card collection. They might have submitted their application form since morning time but still wait. I felt unfair to them being privileged for nothing. Once I receive my card by hand, I ask the officer if I need to pay anything for service. She quickly replied me no need, it's our duty. I said thanks and return home. In my way back home, I keep thinking what did make this officer very helpful and so kind to me.

One thing I can able to find is my very short style of hair-cut. It look me like an army official. Meanwhile, my action of taking photo by mobile phone might have assist me to get express service. I got lesson from this event that those flawed system may lead unnecessary confuses to not only customers but servicing staffs too. May we have a fair system which work base on first come first serve regardless of ranks.


No comments:

Post a Comment