Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A frank lawyer


AFTER carefully think of consequence, I decided to hire a lawyer for the final phase of my property contract. My cousin sister suggested to get professional advice as we can't see hidden risks before we pay final cash as it's huge amount for me. She recommend a lawyer she always hire whenever she buy property and I finally decided to agree with her. One afternoon, we make an appointment with lawyer at her office. My cousin sister and I went the office to conclude my flat purchasing story. Once we reach her office, my sister introduced me with the lawyer as she is mutual person between us. We gave her a deposit paying agreement letter first before we continue to speak. After reading the content of the letter, she break silent by questioning. This is my first ever meeting with a lawyer in my life and it wasn't gone easy for me.

Lawyer: How old are you?
Me : 34
Lwr: Where are you working?
Me : Singapore
Lwr: What kind of job are you working there?
Me : Engineering
Lwr: YOU, being working as an engineer in the abroad?
Me : yes I'm
Lwr: Wondering how are you surviving there by not knowing even basic one.
Me : hmmmm
Lwr: you failed to put the date of agreement in your letter, first.
Me : hmmm
Lwr: the contents are favoring the seller
Me : hmmm
Lwr: the duplicate and original are not exactly the same
Me : hmmm
Lwr: then, do you understand you're going to lose if anything goes wrong in next phase?
Me : I just used a ready made contract bought from roadside shop.
Lwr: Anyway anyhow, you should have done it better to protect your money
Me : ya, but I did it urgently as it happened just an hour away from departure time of my bus
Lwr: Are you so rich to lose such amount?
Me : Not really, Mdm
Lwr: Don't be stupid next time, OK
Me : Yes, I'll remember this and don't let it happen again in future
Lwr: Don't let people know you are working in abroad.
Me: alright
Lwr: It's your fault to mention it as people can easily cheat at you
Me: alright, I'll remember it
Lwr: Once people ask you why you want to buy, just tell them because I want it, enough ready
Me: Ok
Lwr: There is nothing to do with others for your bank account
Me: Yes, I agree
Lwr: Good, lets go and see seller of the flat.
Me : Alright

The lawyer is driving her own car and it was raining afternoon in Yangon. She continuously talked to me how people are untranslatable these days by giving several stories she had encountered. It also included some stories in which she was victim of greedy people. She is now over 60 years old and she seem quite confident with her job. She waste no time since I'm meeting her. She makes several calls to her partners who are working at the government's home management authorities to check the flat owner's name. In the way to seller's house, she received a call to confirm who is the owner of the subject flat I intend to buy. I've got a big lesson by seeing her and thanks God for letting her to defense my hard-earn money. The rain is heavily falling and I'm exciting with the mission ahead.

Will we finish this case successfully?

To be continue.


No comments:

Post a Comment