Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Girl for Gold


On a pleasant day, I was chatting with a taxi driver on the way to my destination. He suddenly asked me if I'm married or not. When I said yes, he continue to question me whether got child or not. I said the same yes. He curious if my child is girl or boy. I response him mine is girl. He cheer me by telling it's good to have a girl today. I am a bit confuse with the reason he gave me as I know the culture of this society favor the gender of male. Thus, I ask him if he got any reason for his confident answer. He provides me a better picture to fully accept his claim.

Taxi Driver: Do you know 4C.
Me : Yes I know, It is the shortcut for Cash, Car, Condo & Country Club membership
TD : Good, you must have been here for quite long.
Me : Just more than 3 years
TD : Ok, the real fact is you will find it difficult to get a gf unless you have those 4C.
Me : isn't it? then where gone real love among younger couple?
TD : believe me, young girls are more fashionable and they would prefer to choose men who possess 4C regardless of age, handsome.
Me : if it's a case, it's not good for all adult men, I think
TD : Yes, we all Singaporean men found that it's very expensive to marry our fellow women.
Me : Imm I oftenly read such news in the local papers.
TD : So we Singaporean men have to choose alternative plan by opting to marry foreign brides.
Me : No wonder there have been such agent on the paper advertisement.
TD : Yes you are right, it has become a good business for them.
Me : Imm, customer can take their choice for S$4,000 in return.
TD : You must be a good reader.
Me : I enjoy to read daily paper, it's my only source of polishing my English.
TD : It's good anyway.
Me : Thanks for your elaboration.
TD : any time
Me : I once read a quote saying that "my daughter is my daughter until she die while my son is my son until he married."
TD : yes it's correct, we Chinese has a proverb that "my son is my son until he married and he become his wife's son".
Me : Woo, I never heard before. This also reflective of our real lives.
TD : Yes it is.
Me : Thanks for sharing.
TD : So do I.

After we depart, I carefully thought what we have talked on the way and more pleased to be a father of daughter. It look like we're more safety with daughter in future than having son. Despite our culture don't teach us to expect something from our children, we are obviously interdependent as a human beings. Thus, we are less or more depend when we become old and retired. Our culture teach our younger generation how to take care and respect their old grandparent and parent. We don't need to set up so many senior citizen houses as our child gladly take their own parent at their home. It show our culture still valuable to be appreciated.

May all parent love their child regardless of gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment