Tuesday, September 27, 2011

English Matter-2


It was early 2005, I was going to Malaysia for my first ever oversea job with the prospect of better paid job. I met some more people at airport who will go together under same agent. There were two agents involved in our oversea job process, one is my fellow citizen and another is Singaporean. We needed to follow Singaporean agent until we reach at KLIA. Soon after landing KLIA, he asked us not to go anywhere from the designated place and left us alone. According to him, our employer is supposed to come and collect us at airport. We were disappointing with the condition but follow. We saw a lot foreign workers around and some of them seem so long waiting for their bosses to collect and even sleep soundly. Luckily, our employer arrived few hours later and brought us to the city.

Since I'm not physically strong man, I wanted to work in office in order to avoid extreme equator sun at work site. But we all understood that we are employed to work at site. I asked Myanmar agent if she can request my employer for office job. She, without hesitating, replied me "no, it's not possible". I later understood that Myanmar agent has no authority or power in dealing with foreign employers. I bear in mind those unrecognized words from my agent, I still wanted to try my luck as much as possible in where got chance. Once we all get out of KLIA compound, we were asked to surrender our passports to the employer. The employer sent two cars to pick us up. One is boss's brother who is director as well and another is foreign workers affair manager.

After they took our passports, they ask if there are any graduates or not. I raised my hand quickly to response the question. Then we departed from KLIA to the city. It was already night around local time 8:00pm. I took front seat beside driver who is foreign worker affair manager. On the way to city, I tried to talk the manager by asking what's the company's specialize in construction industry as well as the number of current running projects. He also asked me few questions on what I could do in my last job in Myanmar. I took fully advantage by explaining him that I'm stronger in paper work and also familiar with computer. He might have noted my words and my wish was fulfilled the next morning. Because, I am selected to work in the head quarter and immediately sent me head office which is located in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. I was undoubtedly happy to be sent office as it's definitely where I wanted to work. I think the ability of my spoken English might have contributed me to grab this office job. I understood the competitive edge of language skill for those who are trying to work in foreign land for first time in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment