Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mum's curry


I like to talk with taxi driver whenever I use their service. I see it a chance to understand the life of ordinary Singaporean. And they are deemed an informative person. On a fine day, I am going to a meeting which is so far away from my office. The traveling time is more than one hour as the venue and my office is located two extreme end of city state. That's why I got a chance to talk with a Singapore Malaysian taxi driver. He is quite friendly and active in talking. I was quite by thinking about the agenda of the upcoming meeting. He started to ask me by a simple question.
Taxi driver : are you Singaporean?
Me : No, I am not.
TD : Then where are you coming from?
Me : Myanmar
TD : Oh I see, how long have you been here?
Me : More than 3 years.
TD : Are you SPRs ready?
Me : Not yet, my application for SPR had been rejected for 2 time.
TD : Immm, this time may be difficult, I think.
Me : I believe so.

He silent for while and continue with a question....

TD : by the way, what do you miss most when you are away from home?
Me : Ummm,,,,,,,,(I'm just thinking of proper answer for his Q)
TD : he come out with answer by saying "it's mother's curry", aren't you?
Me : Oh definitely yes, brother..I agree with you.
TD : Yes, our traditional women are usually cooking at home for the whole family.
Me : ya it's good for everybody, I think.
TD : But......such traditional is no longer with our women nowadays.
Me : How,,,brother?
TD : Today women even don't know how to cook at home.
Me : So they all enjoy outside foods at hawker center?
TD : Yes it is the way they are passing their life.
Me : Then how is your wife? Is she one of such women?
TD : She also don't want to cook at home. I understand her as she also working and tired enough at the end of the day. She prefer to dine at outside.
Me : So you follow lah?
TD : No, I suggest her to cook at least once or twice a week so that our childs enjoy home made foods.
Me : Imm should be...
TD : It's not I want to save money, it's a way to bond among family members.
Me : You're absolutely right.
TD : At day time, we parent are going work while our children are going school. The home is empty until the bed time because everybody come back home after having their dinner at their convenient places. So home become just like a hostel/ inn. I don't want my family becoming like that.
Me : Imm,,,my wife and I always eat dinner together.
TD : Moreover, one day our children will go out oversea like you do, then there wouldn't be something to be remember at home if my wife fails to cook and serve them now.
Me : Oh it's good attitude, bro. I appreciate that.
TD : Sometime she even complain that some Chinese men are cooking, washing in their household while I don't need to.
Me : Really?
TD : I told her go and marry him lah...I am very upset to be compared like that.
Me : Yes she shouldn't use this as a reason/excuse for don't want to cook at home.
TD : Are you married?
Me : Yes I am
TD : Does your wife cooking at home?
Me : Yes of course, it's our traditional as well.
TD : You are lucky enough man.
Me : Hope so,,,she also working here.
TD : It's additional bonus, my friend.
Me : Am I considered fortunate enough to have cooking and working wife?
TD : Yes of course, it's valuable and appreciate it.
Me : Ok I'll remember that.

We silent again and taxi is approaching the destination. I wonder what if I told him that my wife is earning more than me as well........

May all men possess a cooking wife to shake their hearts for ever.


2 comments:

  1. တကယ္သာ ဒီလိုဆို ရင္ ၀လာတာ ရုပ္ဆိုးလာတာေတြ အတြက္ စိတ္ပူေတာ့ဘူး ။
    အိမ္မွာ ေကာင္းေကာင္းခ်က္ေကၽြးေတာ့မယ္ ။ ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need to worry for your loved ones as long as you are master in kitchen....:D

    ReplyDelete