Friday, May 6, 2011

Water conscious woman 4


THERE are three refrigerators in the kitchen. Two are big and one is extra small. The landlord use 2 big one and allow all tenants to use extra small one. I would even cannot find the model of this small one in my country because it's so old. The size is about 3 ft height and 2 ft wide. There are two compartment. The upper deck is about 2 ft x 1 ft and it is always full of frozen ice. Only less than 25% of space is available to use at any given time. The outer body shells are rusted and dirty. There are about 12 tenants in the hostel and the refrigerator is not good enough to facilitate people's needs. Luckily most of tenants don't use kitchen and they are enjoying outside foods except us.

Since we cook regularly, we use the most space in this small refrigerator. Aunty is old enough to become our mother and we always paid her respect. Nobody talks her at home and she would be always busy with something. She only one do all sorts of house keeping work as well as cooking for the whole family. We are only one couple who help her doing house work. I helped Uncle cutting fence plant regularly. Every weekend we used to sweep and mop the kitchen area because we are using kitchen. But we are disappointing to be scolded by her for some unfair things. Sometime she claimed us for failing cleaning and moping. She would say us her husband is doing house keeping work. Then I'ld respond her that it's your business and you are responsible for that. You don't have a right to claim us to do it because we are not staying here for free. We paid for your room here. When I said like that, she would hold back her temper as she scare to lose us.

There are always incoming and outgoing tenants because people are not happy after they understand the behavior of her. During our stay for more than 1 and half year, we saw a lot people come in and go out very much frequently. Every time she gets new tenants, she will need to pay agent fees as she rely on agent to get new tenant to fill vacant rooms. We are generally less complaint people and pay rental fee regularly. She know it well and she always asked me to tell my friends to stay her house. I encouraged some of my friends who are trouble in finding rooms and let them stay in her house. In total, I helped her get my fellow citizen tenants for about 7 people. But she never favor me for my help. However she would give us old curry when there are extra and she knows it's going to be expired. We acknowledge her generous without complaining. She is such woman for us. At some good feeling time, she used to tell me about her younger days life in Indonesia because I am only one she can talk to. I can speak a little her language and able to understand her halting English. By this way we two are staying under the same ceiling by quarreling or arguing or complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment