Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Can monopoly spoil beauty of sport ?


MONOPOLY,,,,a word I friend with since I was a school boy. I knew it as a name of a board game in which players engage with snakes, ladder, bonus by throwing a dice on the given chart. I knew nothing more than that. But I see this word in the newspaper frequently and I realize that it has other meaning. The Oxford dictionary define it as "...the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.." The definition seem it is used only for business or trade related matters. However I see it using in other areas such as political. In this pose, I want to try this beautiful word at sport. I don't know if I can use it such way or not. If it's wrong usage, it's my fault as a result of my poor writing skill.

Lets start from world's most populous sport, football. We all have witnessed recently that Barcelona FC beat Manchester United by far superior quality in Champion league final. What matter to me then? It's good to enjoy them playing attractive football. But I see this is the sign of monopoly for football. They (Barca) seems unrival at the moment and is likely to maintain such momentum for considerable years in future because they are still a young team. To date, we have seen them taking Europe's best title twice in available three. They failed to retain their 2009 title narrowly to Inter Milan at 2010. Meaning they have progressed their flawless system since three year ago at least. It's not good for football fans seeing one team dominate by far. Hopefully the other top teams in Europe able to catch up by recruiting new world-class player to close the gap. But for sure is it's going to be uphill task for them to bridge the gap.

Lets glance other sports in which one particular nation/club is dominating above all. At table-tennis, China is taking most of gold medals available at any competition. The organizer or authorize people are not happy to see them unstoppable. We have seen all Chinese semi-final and finals in the the stage of world's famous competition. China seem becoming powerful sport nation for other sports such as athlete, swimming, skate, acrobatic, etc. Only sport I see them don't match is football. The rest, they are not far behind than any particular nation. It's the sign of China's rise and the reason why the world is paying extra attention to World's second biggest economy.

Brazil is famous for its football talents. USA is good at basketball. No other nations would be better than south Asian teams in cricket I think. Now Spain slowly become famous nation of football as they won last version of world cup as well as crown of European title. At club level, they have world's best club ever at Barcelona. In term of sport, it is disappointing to think of my own nation. My nation has declined all quality not only in sport but all sectors. Our nation's aim is probably biggest in this world. What's that? "Myanmar's sport must influence the world's sport". What a great vision is it on sign board? In fact, sadly, we are even unable to dominate within the region. It's good to know where we are as it is. The problem is our leaders never assess our position as real. They always think of unrealistic goals. It makes people put on the bay from start as they know the policy are not realistic and substantiate. But there is one thing few people can monopoly domestically. It's the power they grip and able to maintain for decades long regardless of people's will. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment