Monday, May 9, 2011

I love you, mum


LAST SUNDAY was international mother day and people are celebrating this special day worldwide. It's a good practice to honour mother such a way. Everybody has a mother and without mum, we couldn't have been in this planet. One might have exist as a fatherless child but there is no room for a baby being dump as a motherless. There is a Myanmar proverb that "A hand that sway cradle rules the world". I am not sure if it is copy from other language's proverb or our own one. But it clearly highlight the important of a mother. A hand in this proverb must be a hand of mum, not dad. It's not likely to be a dad's hand since he is solely breadwinner in the household in our culture. A mother used to manage household works and take care children to be grown up properly.

Our mothers in the history were not working and they are deemed a pioneer teacher of their biological child. So we widely accept that parent are responsible for the and misconduct of their child in social circle. So our parent take full responsibility not only being a parent but a teacher who teach their children how to live in the society. Since fathers are responsible to do business and ensure getting enough foods for family, mother are naturally close to child. The bonding between child and mum gradually up by time as our mum only breast-feed to their child after birth. This is only one option for a poor country people and also recognized by elder people. She would happy to take care and seeing her child grow by time.

The teaching path start even the baby is unable to understand the meaning words by music. Our mothers used to sing in the effort of making their babies sleep quickly. The babies seem pleased to sleep by listening music sung by their mothers. Luckily we have so many poems and children stories written and composed by our famous writers and poets. When the baby begins to speak and react well, our mother would tirelessly tell bed-stories to make their babies enjoy and impress the character of actors in story. As usual, the story characters are brave, honest, smart, intelligent, loyal, patriot, and so on. By familiarizing this, we were growing up with the dream of becoming a good person like a character in those stories we listen when we were young.

Moreover our mums would nurture us before we reach school age because there are no preschool culture in a country of poor. So they became a teacher of us before we are exposed to teachers from government schools. At the rural area. we don't have schools to educate ourselves and our mum will take a role of full time teacher. Most of villages from rural area would rely on local monasteries to learn literature. There is at least one monastery a village because we are a buddhist country. Our monks are well educated and they'ld kindly offer their knowledges to the childs of the village. We learnt extra curriculum from our monasteries not only modern literature but ancient literature such as religious, cultural, martial arts, etc. Since our mum also need to do house work and family cultivation works, they can't afford to take care their childs for long time and usually send their child either schools or monasteries when they reach enough age.

Unfortunately my mum passed away when I was young and I badly miss her loving kindness. But it still feel warm whenever I recall the days we spend together. I still remember she told me a lot stories when I was a child. I still please the sound of her singing before I sleep. I still remember her teaching to deal with this cynical world. She is non-educated woman but she still can read, write and able to share something special. She was born during colonial period and no chance to educate during her younger days. Her good period of life was spent by fleeing from wars. This is not her problem at all. She knew the important of education and sent me school despite she was poor. She tried to pretend me not to worry for school fees. She struggled her old days of life by doing little business as vendor. Now I am able to work in a developed country as a white collar worker despite I was born in a rural village of a poor country. It's crystal clear the consequence of my mother's long term sightness. Without her effort, I could have spent my life in the farm land of my village like most of my childhood friends today spending poorly.

In this background, how can I able to forget my mother despite she died for decades? Mum, I want you to see my daughter who is your grand-daughter. I am sure you'll love to see her as all our neighbour people and friends love her so much. I am not a good parent like you. I failed to sing my daughter. I absent to stay with my daughter as circumstance needs me to find dollar at oversea. I failed to tell stories my daughter like you did me when I was my daughter's age. I think you won't be pleased to see me like this if you are able to understand from another world. Will you scold me for being un-dutiful father for your grand-daughter if you can? But mum, I promise you that I'll give my daughter a better education and life than ours. I promise you that I'll try to reunite family life sooner than later. This is only thing I can promise you at the moment. My life belong to you and I have to give enough credit to you for being a good mother in my life. I have missed your quality loving kindness since you leave us and it'll never reach the end. Let me tell you, mum though you may not able to heard my words. It doesn't matter for me but.

I LOVE YOU, MUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment