Friday, March 25, 2011

SME worker, I am


Justify FullSINCE I arrive to this island state, I have been working with local SME and pretty enjoy in term of job volume and incentive. But it dramatically changed in the wake of 2009 recession as my local company is acquisition by a well known UK based MNC. The new owner initially agreed not to interrupt our prevailing system as my company can make profit more than 20 millions annually and it seems meet their target from the investment of taking over this local company. Since this SME has some degree of reputation among peers especially from the deep foundation sector domestically. We were happy to learn that the new owner will let the existing management staff to continue for at least 3 years onwards.

Being local SME, it's obvious that our system and management are not as good as theirs as they are world's biggest foundation in term of market according to their advertisement. They have several office across the continents and head quarter is existing in the Germany. So my company became a member of their group of company. But the situation started to change after the mother company found out the loose system of us. So they gradually invade to our system and check from all possible angle. Of course we are upsetting being investigated by somebody else. In fact, they are not happy with the way we report to them because our report are not accurate as they expect. Since they caught this weakpoint, they seem loosing confident in us and keep checking on us.

My current company has 3 kinds of ISO certification which mean we are recognized by internationally independent firm in term of quality & management. But I notice that we are committing some offense by not complying the way we are suppose to. Finally we were caught by our mother company, not ISO firm. I'm not shocked to be rated as a bad in reporting sector. We usually don't have such practice before as local company just paying attention to realistic rather than filing/theories. But this company has made some reputation by our own ways. The problem is our owner company is not happy. So do we.

Then what happen to us? We are over assigned without giving extra man power. We need to do extra job in reporting which is not necessary for us. Anyway we know what we have to expect if we can't establish our own business. As long as we are not our own boss, there might have been at least one person who manipulate us. It's inevitable. So I tried to digest those over loaded jobs. The problem is I have no senior or department head. Worse? there are 3 QS in this company and all are same fellow citizen. Since we all are coming from a far poorer country, we are treated with a different categories. Everybody here seem superior to us and they are just playing with the assignments they receive. I mean they just pass here and there to their inferiors. Eventually most of jobs come to us and we have nobody to share our job but do it ourselves.

Who take care of us? Nobody. People would remember us when they have something to do. But they'll stay away for recommendation when the time come for raise or promotion. I feel it's not fair to us. In fact, we can tender resignation if we don't like the environment. But it's easier said than done especially for a foreign worker like me. So I try to swallow all incoming pains and wait for a right time. I honestly do my best within working hours without letting my body to rest. At some time, I even forget to drink water/ go toilet because I am too focus on job. These days, I notice that I am really exhausted after working hour. Sometime it seem not enough to recharge my losing energy by overnight as I am not as fresh as before when I wake up. But I understand I have to take it regardless of like or unlike.

The fact is that while I'm super busy, some of my colleagues who are mostly locals have luxury time to talk about non-sense around. They are noisy neighbour for not. Nothing less. They may think themselves that they are much superior to us and used to bully us when thing goes against them. They always look for me for helping their jobs. They are paid for doing their job. But they still distracting me. If I am confusing, they say I'm not obedient. I learned a lot from them. I understand the different between kind and selfish people. Also I realize how important the management is to succeed the organization. I promise myself not to do whatever I don't like people doing by the time I get upper hand in my life time.

This, too, shall pass away.

No comments:

Post a Comment