Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pain Truth 1


I WAS fourth in line in the queue of an ATM machine few months back in Peninsular plaza. One of my fellow citizen is trying to withdraw the cash from his bank card. He took longer than usual and everybody is paying attention on his behavior. So did I. Being same country man myself with him, I could able to understand his plight more than others especially those from other countries who are in line. He is distraught infront of the machine and busy with making calls so that he can get some help from his friends. I curiously starred at him and realize the matter. He talked to his friend through mobile phone......

man : hello, I can't withdraw your money in this machine.
friend: are you sure you press the correct pin no?
man : yes I did.
frd : then what's wrong with you?
man : I didn't know where the money come out.
frd : hmmmmm, is it first time you are using ATM?
man : yes I am, once I saw money, it's too late to collect because it go back to its original slot.
frd : shits
man : what should I do, frd, I have to go KL by this evening and no time ready to catch the bus.
frd : there is a customer helpline phone beside the ATM, use it for help.
man : ok, ok,,,,,,

He step back and looking around for the phone with the fully excitement face. He found it and dial...

officer : hello, how can I help you?
man : hmmm,,,I'm losing my money at ATM,
He tried to talk by halting English and the officer appear do not understand. Man repeated and later he give it up and went away. I saw the situation and didn't help him. It's too bad attitude not to take opportunity to help a man who is in really need somebody's help. Especially being the same countrymen, I should have help him to solve out problem by whatever I can. I recall those incident and regret it. But I fully understand this kind of situation as I myself had personal experience few years back while I was working in KL, Malaysia.

You may never know how difficult is it to get even bank account unless you have been from one of poor countries like my native land. In my country, people widely use the cash in their daily expenses. They even paid by cash for buying a car, an apartment, etc. Because bank facilities are not accessible at all place. Even among the biggest cities, it's just for mega-rich people. So being just an ordinary person, it's not possible to have a bank account. Since my country is always in dark, I mean electricity is not available by 24 hours unless your place is high profile army people's residential area. So few existing banks can't running certain bank service like ATM. The quality of money would be another reason for unable to use ATM machine in my country.

When I was working in Malaysia, we all understand that the safety in Malaysia is too risky and we don't want to keep money in hand or somewhere in the room due to safety reason. I was working in down town area and my office is surrounded by several banks and office towers. I used to walk through ATM machines and I was crazy to get my own bank account/ ATM card so that I can save money in it. But it seem impossible for a foreign worker like me. The bank's rule and regulation effectively bar a foreign worker like me. There is one thing I need to get is having one guarantor who must be locals. It's not easy to have guarantor and my employer also don't want to recognize it. So I just dreamed it. Nothing beyond that.

But when I came to S'pore for working, I surprisingly found that all employees are needed their own bank account so that the employer can pay their salaries through i-banking. Other reason is the government wants to know the cash flow of each company I think. Anyway I finally have a personal saving account that can be use as ATM card as well. In Singapore, it's seem nothing but a normal card to everybody. But for a man from poor country, it's like a dream come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment