Thursday, March 3, 2011

Poem speaks louder than Generals


THIS is a very much realistic poem written by a famous Myanmar poet who had been pass away now. He wrote this decades ago and it's still able to reflect the situation of our people's life. I praise the poet's desire to highlight their actual situation and even forecast the future situation if they keep going the same. What a wonderful poet and smart man is he?

Myanmar has born a lot talented artistes and they are unfortunately not recognized and live as an ordinary person in the whole life. It make our country drive to upside down as our leaders failed to maintain talents and give them a place to share their expertise. It still happening to my country to date and a lot young talents keep going abroad in the prospect of a better live. The government seems no worry for that and they might happy to let them out instead. Why? The common sense is that the stupid and uneducated people are much more easier to be managed or ruled.

So the more talented people go out of country, the more likely to maintain their power longer. On the other hand, the country would suffer from brain-drain. Who will take care of it unless the government failed? The only option to convince outgoing talents and maintain new youngster is to create enough jobs for them and give them appropriate place in civil servant. Bad thing is this kind of thing can be done by government. I don't know when will the country see the dawn. For now, it's a very long darken night and people are seemingly blinds. Only God will know the way to terminate the bad and create a suitable one.

This poem is found through the facebook page of my friend and I copied it in my blog for future reference. I thanks her for sharing with others. To be honest, I won't able to put this poem if I find it somewhere else because I don't know how to type Myanmar font. I admit it is my weakness. I tried not to practice mother language as an attempt of trying to improve my English writing skill. It can be wrong mindset with me. But I strongly believe that people chose easier way when it come double to be selected. So I don't want to let my brain choose two. I give myself one option that is able to write English. I feel pain whenever I read news that mention Myanmar citizen's bad in English. Being migrant worker, we can't make a progress without a good English. I myself is still struggling with this international language. My writing skill probably a bit ahead of my fellow citizen but other 3 skills might have been poor with me.

I'll try to translate this poem as good as I am so that you can understand and can feel it. The poem title is "Our Country" this is missing in the Myanmar font poem below.

Our Country "Our Country"

ထေလာ့ျမန္မာ၊ Wake up, Myanmar

အိုျမန္မာတို ့ ... Ohh, Burmese....

တို ့ရြာ တို ့ေျမ၊ Our villages and lands

တို ့ရြာေျမ၀ယ္ possess so much things

ေစတီစပါး၊ pagoda and paddy fields

မ်ားလည္းမ်ား၏ everywhere you can see

မ်ားပါေလလဲ၊ more than good enough

တမြဲမြဲႏွင့္ but we're still poor

ဆင္းရဲကာသာ၊ we're still starve

ကာလၾကာလွ်င္ if it take continue long

ယာစကာမ်ဳိး၊ will lead to beggar generation/race

တၫိႈးၫိႈးႏွင့္ degrading with all aspects

ပုထိုးျမင့္ေမာင္း၊ living on the streets

ေက်ာင္းႀကိဳေက်ာင္းၾကား and among destroyed buildings

လွည့္လည္သြားလွ်က္ despite going around to seek meal

မစားေလရ၊ can't find bread and butter

၀မ္္းမ၀၍ failed to provide enough food for hungry stomach

ဆြမ္းမွ်မတင္ႏိုင္ ရွိမည္တည္း။ ... even failed to offer our prayers (Buddha)


This poem is written Myanmar famous poet, if I am not wrong, Saya Zaw Gyi. I don't mean to disappoint you by translating this poem. I just want you to understand the meaningful of poem that the original poet wanted to share with his people. If my translation of this poem doesn't meet original sense, I'm solely responsible for this. It is because of my poor English. Nobody would take this burden but myself. I'ld be please to take your criticism, comment, boos, accusation, and the likes. Meanwhile I would be happy if you get some fraction of understanding from this post and I'ld be grateful if you leave some comment related with this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment