Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mentor's Judgement


I'M JUST sharing a paragraphs from the Lee Kuan Yew's latest book with regard to my country. I believe you will be interested if you are my fellow citizen what he said about our country when an author from ST asked him. Just read it and think it over carefully. For sure, I don't want to offend anybody by posing this.

Q: What is your best guess about Myanmar and whether you see major changes in that society over the next decade or so?

A: You either have revolution by consent or revolution by violence. How long can this leadership stay? How long can the next leadership stay? It will pass on to a younger group of colonels. They are isolated, they can see Thailand progressing. Yes, they are getting richer personally, but the country is getting poorer: poor doctors, no medicines, no education, you want your country to be like that? So if they've got any brains they will open up. And when you open up, you got to educate your people. When you educate your people, certain consequences follow. So I don't see them getting on.

I've given up with this lot. Any American comes, I say, look, speak to the younger ministers. I was speaking to Khin Nyunt, he's the most intelligent of the generals, he was in charge of intelligence and I persuaded him to go the Indonesian way, take off your uniform, form a party, go for elections and present yourself as a political force. They were heading that way. Then Suharto fell. They said this is wrong advice. Don't talk to me about Myanmar. I've already written them of for my lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment