Thursday, May 17, 2012

No Show Fees Lesson

FIRST time in life, I heard it from MAI airline office staff when I was trying to re-confirm the return ticket booking for my sister in-law. It was quite easy to call & confirm as the staff was helpful. Being asked what if I want to shift the booking date, she answered me that I have to inform one day in advance for any changes. Otherwise, there would be charge against me so called "No show fees". I understand from her that the fees would be S$65.00 if I fail to inform as stated. I got knowledge with regard to it as this was first ever time I give a call to airline office for my sister. I would have to give S$10.00 if I ask agent to make it for me. May be life is so easy to find money in lion city for Myanmar agent at Peninsular Plaza. Let it be. They will survive so long as a market.

Following fail mission to be headhunted, my sister in-law return home on labor day. It was rainy day and we last minute changed to use MRT instead of taxi as her cousin wanted to send her airport. As a result, we arrived T1 very late. My sister was last passenger to check in at the counter. The counter is going to close and we were lucky to catch them. I rushed to the check-in counter and showed traveling documents to staff. She seem PRC staff employed by MAI. After reading thoroughly those documents I given, she turn her face up to me and say
Staff: Where is air-ticket?
Me : Aww, just inside the envelop. (I pull it out by telling her)
Staff: Immm, you have to pay S$69.
Me : Why? my ticket is 3 month ticket and valid until 1st June.
Staff: Ummmmmm,,,,wait,,,I have to check..
Then, she gets up and approached to counter no.1 where apparent senior/supervisor is sitting. Few minute later, she come back and insist I must pay. I am visibly rushing as I am worried to miss flight.
Me : I can't pay as I did nothing wrong.
Staff: Ok, can you please go counter no.1 to settle?
Me : alright.
Me: Hi, good afternoon. What's wrong with my ticket?
Another staff: You have to pay S$69.00 for No-show fees
Me : why should I need to pay? I informed to MAI office one week in advance. You can see booking reference on the ticket case there.
Staff: this time speaking Myanmar language, why did you write S$69 on the case?
Me: by surprising, it's just a note to remember when I am told by MAI staff during booking process.
Staff: Okay, you can go now.
What a damn service is it? If I am unable to explain them, no choice but pay as per their will. The circumstance make us rush and might be easy to accept whatever they demand in last minute. The Chinese staff complained on over-weight a bit. I thought MAI allowed 30kg per passenger as my sister bought on normal price. The luggage weigh only 28 kg. She asked me if I take out some or pay extra charges on over weight. I asked how many kilo allowed per head. She answer only 25kg. It's appalling to know rule change last minute in deed. We took out some items and make it hand carry as my sister has less things to carry on. Then another staff apparent Burmese asked Chinese lady to allow a bit more. After that, my sister had to rush to immigration gate. We look at monitors that show airline gate status, MAI's making last call. We could able to relax when our sister calls us that she has come across final gate as a last passenger. What a rush day is it for us? In fact, MAI staff should have passed some error to a given scenario. In this case, we are not on the wrong side that make MAI's hospitality severely affected. I got another lesson from the departure day of my sister, finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment