Wednesday, August 7, 2013

It's worth learning

WHEN I read my home village in last month holiday, some of my friends who use internet told me to use Myanmar language when I share some items through social media website like Facebook so that they can understand well. It is not first time for me to hear such thing and my sole answer is that I cannot type mother language on computer. Sound a bit strange and proud. In other word, it is not appropriate to say so as a Burmese. If I can type English then I should have typed Myanmar as well. I even couldn't promise them that I'll try to type mother language in near future.

One public meeting during her European and US tour, our lady, Aung San Su Kyi, urged Myanmar family and youth to speak Myanmar language while they are staying away home. Also she stressed the younger generation who even cannot speak mother tongue to the give situation. At Q&A section, one Burmese lady requested her to allow her to speak English as she finds it hard to question in Myanmar. The lady immediately asked her not to forget the root and try to learn mother tongue as it is unwritten obligation. Now I am working in a country who encourage its younger generation to become bilingual people at least. By speaking more than one language, it is definitely extra advantage for a person who speak more than one when he/she enters working world. It is no doubt that knowing more than one language will not harm us and benefit us for that extra capacity.

I felt ashamed when I listen our lady's remark through online. Previously I wrongly thought that writing Myanmar and English alternative will weak my English language skill and hence I only used to type with English. In addition, I write a blog by English as a test ground to my writing skill. As I have been working abroad for almost 10 years on now, there were almost no place to practice mother language and it make me push away from mother tongue. It on the other hand still okay to comment by English when I am using Facebook for my friend's photos. My wife also cannot type Myanmar and we got problem to type Myanmar sometime and need to ask somebody to help us. As our home return in mind, I sooner or later have to write in mother language at lease after return home. I must start learn how to type and I made up my mind to learn yesterday. I downloaded Myanmar language software and install on my computer. Also print out Myanmar language keyboard and try to know where alphabetical are existing. As I am familiar with English version keyboard layout, it help me learn faster in Myanmar version. Today I could able to type normal basis conversion and I am amazing myself. The more I can type Myanmar, i feel happier to that. Some of my friends notice my comments in Myanmar on Facebook. Now I am trying to type mother tongue when I chat with my friends online. 

I am convinced myself that I'll soon be master my mother language if I continue not to type English in favor of mother language. Later I'll try to encourage my wife to exercise the way I have trained myself. It's fun indeed to know mother tongue because it make me enable to express my feeling precisely online. Thanks all incidents above that have pushed me some stresses on doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment