Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Major Logo Lesson

SINCE one of my hobby is drawing and I always enjoy to draw something at one time if I got spare time. I never felt bored to draw when I was a student both in school and college. I take advantage from drawing related subject whenever I come across. At the same time, I won't be hesitate to register if I know any drawing competition in my life. So drawing a logo became one of the competitions that can draw my attention. I have been compete a lot of logo competitions and sometime my creation were selected while rejected on another time. It's quite good to practice one's interest when opportunity arise.

During my first diploma study, I competed two times and one time won. Another time I got a chance to draw a logo was happening while I was studying for my engineering graduate study. That time my effort was again selected without rivals. I wasn't happy to be selected being one participant in the competition. Nevertheless I tried my best and assumed others concern is non of my business. I think I can contribute to my department by brain-storming to get the best logo to represent our civil engineering department. In fact, all departments are trying to get a beautiful and meaningful logo so that they can boast once they are putting it on. Every student want to get a nice logo despite they don't want to put their attempt in getting their desire.

Another reason why students are not interested in the competition is they are struggling with studying and it is not compulsory by department. Also there is no carrot for their effort. I mean no reward for your time and brain once your logo is selected. It's a bit cheap for a designer and not proper way to deal with. To me, I don't care if I am given price or not as long as I can see my creation being used. It's more than reward to see my logo on my fellow classmate's T-shirt. I think all designer would love to see their design on action. In order to get basic idea, I need to go library and read a lot of books and take a note whatever I think is useful and related.

By doing so, I could able to submit my design on time to be judged by teacher. Unfortunately, I have no rivals to compete as no other classmates are submitting their own job. On the day my design was revealed to class with the help of monitor who is selected as a leader of students by department head. As soon as he introduce my design to classmates, they started to comment on it with baseless. I know I should welcome all constructive comments made by peers. But some of them are so pessimist to voice out and even make me feel embarrassed. I cannot keep quiet for a long time and stand up and straight away go toward monitor and pull my logo design sheet. I asked him to go back and listen to me.

I step on the stage and starred at them and challenged by saying as follow:-
Me: Thanks for your all comments now. I made this for the sake of our department, not for my personal business. I even wasted my study time by spending in drawing this. This cannot come out at cheap. I gave time as well as brainstorming.
Classmate: listen and silent
Me: I don't mind if you all don't like this. I have some intentional feeling behind my design. I will tear it down if you all keep voice out negative rather than constructive comments. I explained the secret of my design and let them decide upon it. I also challenge them by stating it do or die. I'll destroy it now and there would be no design to print out. My voice was mixed of anger and louder than usual. Meanwhile one teacher came to room and ask what has happened. I also asked the teacher to let me finish my wording before I explain to her. Probably you may accuse me as a proud man. This is not my first time to against my peers in life. I would not step backward if I think I am right. I may be a proud man of what I have done.

What make me disappointed was why they all are easy to point out other's effort despite they couldn't able to participate in making our dream come true. My country people are mostly like that in every angle I think. I encounter the same manner in job as well as school. I still suffering this after I am out of country. Why are we becoming like that? Are we lacking soft-skill? Have we got a wrong education method? Is it because of our society? Is it due to our life style? Probably these all can be part of answer. I sometime asking myself if my thinking is wrong or incorrect.

For sure is I am still not mature enough and still a lot to learn in life so that I can guide myself in dealing with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment