Monday, July 5, 2010

Hostel lesson

SINCE SINGAPORE is among most expensive cities to live for expats, I am not of course exceptional. We, all immigrant workers, find it hard to get a suitable place with a reasonable price. Then you might want to know what's reasonable price to be rent a room. There is no standard range for room rental fees but base on some fundamental factors. These comprise the location; prime or outskirt, how far/near from MRT, available to use air-con, allowed to cook, etc. It's fair to pay relatively expensive if the place can give occupants satisfactory. But you may find it difficult to get if you have been in Singapore and come across some personal experiences regarding to seeking a room. On the other hand, there would be some factors to accept if somebody wants to rent the whole flat and sublet to others. Some people might have thought they can avoid the above mentioned difficulties by renting whole flat and being the leader of flat. It's easier said than done.

Being migrant workers, we already have certain pressures at work and of course we don't want to stay at a room that has some different pressures due to either landlord or room-mates or flat-mates. Generally, we all come here to work and safe money amap and remind ourselves not to lose our primary target. As a result, we try to patient not only at work but also other places including hostel. We change places with the hope of a better and relax place and finally we end up with exhausted. This is one kind of things we need to handle in daily life.

According to my personal experience, we want to hire a cheap place with the reasonable expectations. As you know, cheap things never good and good things never cheap. So we probably find mostly some form of problems at hostel. Within 3 years in Singapore, I have been forced to change more than 7 places due to different reasons. Each place has different story to be learned. I am upset to move out and resettle in new place. Within this 7 times, I have stayed both foreigner landlord and fellow citizen. Likewise, I have shared a room/flat together with both foreigners and fellow citizens. I encountered different place got different problem. Probably I am not lucky man in getting a place to live in. But I tried to cope them with minimum complains and sometime it's necessary to ignore neighbours or room-mates. Otherwise we may need to be handle some sort of stress in different places and it'll never stop until we sleep soundly.

While I was working in Malaysia, I always thought that people who are working in Singapore will be discipline and never make any messy things. Because most people who are working in Malaysia are less educated people compare to its counterparts of Singapore. In fact, I found it wrong as I have come across a lot place and people keep making me annoyed. Regardless of gender, I find low standard despite we all are staying and working in one of cleanest cities in the world. What's the morale among working adults? Pay oneself and don't need to respect around? If we think so, what's different between ranker and educated? I myself is not perfect but at least I know how to respect others who are nearby.

At some point, I was surprised to see fellow citizen student's life style. I might have thought the students who are studying in Singapore will be hard working in their studies. Again my prediction was almost wrong. I agree with some for failing to hard study as they need to find tuition fees by doing some part-time works. Meanwhile some students who don't need to works for the same purpose are wrongdoing that can lead them derail. What a pity of their parents who are trying to send out foreign currency for their generation? May be it's non of my business, but some behavior and attitude of them affect to their flat-mates. It's obvious to sense what kind of problems is it if you have been the same experience with me in oversea country.

Sometime I asking myself if my thinking are going wrong ways. Why we shouldn't stay without disturbing other's privacy? Is it because we didn't learn from our school? Is it because our background are chaos. Is is due to lack of proper teaching by our own parent as well as teachers? I partly agree that people's mind can be dominant by its surrounding. I believe on the other hand most of fellow citizen who are staying in Singapore are from superior background in term of rich or high-profile background families. But their activities are not matched with the words they are talking about. To be honest, I have come across some adorable person who are very smart, honest and naive. I'm always proud to read some good news regarding to my fellow citizens in any media in oversea but it happened very rarely. Anyway I hope we can together show our standard by being an considerate person. We can't make a good image of our country with the behavior of gypsy. I believe that we each person are important in building our own country's image among other citizen especially while we are staying and working in oversea.

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment