Sunday, January 13, 2013

Office Harmony

AS a quantity surveyor, it is inseparable between account and qs work. QS prepared claims and certificates to subcon, account staffs have to follow up with tax invoice or paying cheques to subcon. At the same time, account department is receiving tax invoices from our clients or main contractors for some form of contra and work relative debit notes. They will straight forward to QS to countercheck the invoice amount before we make necessary payment. As a part of QS duties, we have to check all incoming bills and response accordingly. Account will stamp on incoming invoice before passing to QS so that QS & other person involved able to sign to acknowledge for charges. The problem come there. I used to return account after checking invoice and sign on it. 

But lazy account claimed us to get PM's signature before passing back to them. I straight away reply them that there is no guideline requiring QS to get PM signature. If account want to get all superior signature, they can pursue them within premise of the office, I think. There is no technical term involved in getting signature. Mostly, PM easily sign if respective QS has signed to show their approval. I personal think that those contra bills which are concrete and rebar supply should be checked by account. They are the ones who keep original DOs during work in progress. Once I enquired why account keep them, one of them answered that they need to match incoming invoice with original DO as a part of account's staff duty. But they want to make their work easy at the expense of QS. 

They know QS are the most vulnerable within the ranks and we are always victims of their abusive manner. I am only one QS that always fight back by email for justice. Account head will turn to our head if she cannot continue to say and eventually we are always at the lose end. Because our head seem do not want to go against her. Unfortunately, all QS are Myanmese and the locals thinks they are always superiors regardless of situation. When I fight back, I would be rated as not obedient guy. Nonetheless, I keep distracting them by email reply to all superiors. Sometime, I feel that we are easily bullied by them. We have a lot things to be done which is suppose to be done on time. What make me upset is our head never stand by us. He'll easily issue instruction to follow account's people's will. What can I do then? Nothing but follow. There is one sentence our head always refer to, "for office harmony". I am helpless but smiling at words.

No comments:

Post a Comment