Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Holiday Adventure 2


WE TOOK SMRT Bus 950 from Marsiling Station for Johor Bahru. It took us about 10 minute to reach Woodland Checkpoint where all passengers are needed to alight for immigration check. We don't know what we need to do here as this is our first ever trip to Malaysia. So we just alight and simply follow fellow passengers. On the second floor, the immigration counters were awaiting outgoing passengers for necessary checking. I confused myself where to queue as there are different electronic title bar on the top of designated places. I thought I could check in under Singapore Resident line with the prospect of fast processing. But I understood that it was solely for Singaporean citizen only once I reach there. Then I moved back to "All passports" title place and wait for my turn. My wife and friend just follow me and they took place behind me only.

In Singapore side, what we need to do is just present our passport and employment card. It's as easy as it is. Then we board again on bus and ride for a few minute and reach at Malaysia Immigration Checkpoint. So we all passengers are needed to alight for the same reason as S'pore side did. We as usual follow the crowd and quickly queue at "International passport" line. In order to avoid the same mistake before, I asked one staff where we should align for and she replied me anywhere would do. So I just queue at the nearest counter. Once my turn reached, officer checked my passport thoroughly and asking me whether I'm working in Singapore or not. I reply 'yes' while giving him my S pass card. Then he asked me for departure form.

Oh God, do we need to submit it? I asked him.
Yes of course you need.
Where can I get the form, Sir?
Over there, he pointed out opposite site counters.
We rushed back to those counters and get departure form duly filled up.
I regret for not asking those who has experienced this before. But I managed to fill up and helped my wife & friend as we all have only one pen. After that we run back to immigration counter to submit with the worry of not catching the bus in mind. We were granted for one week stay in Malaysia. As soon as I get back my passport, I quickly check the proper seal is in place or not because of recently story I read in ST news. The expat couple went KL for happy new year celebration. Their joyous ended horribly when they return to island state. They were arrested by Malaysia immigration officer for not obtaining official chop for entering Malaysia. They didn't notice that and they had to spend overnight in jail and the following day they paid fine for RM2,000 each. What a bad experience is it? That's why I check my passport immediately to avoid such circumstance.

Once we go down to board our bus, the bus already departed and we miss it. We are distraught. I don't know how to speak Malay. My wife and friend just rely on me as I have worked in Malaysia for 3 years and they believe in me that I could handle all incoming problem. In fact, it's not easy without speaking their language. I know it by experience. Another worry is safety reason. Malaysia has reputation for this. From experience, I know all strangers must aware not only civilians but police/ authority since there is corruption among staffs. I had no idea on doing next. So I decided to go back immigration counter level and seek for help. I found one tourism boot at the top of escalator and entered for advice.

Me: Hi happy new year, Sir.
Officer: Yes, what can I help for you.
me: we came from S'pore for CNY visit.
officer: yes
me: but we are missing our bus after immigration clearance. so help me how to go JB by public transport.
officer: what are you going to do here?
me : just shopping only, sir
officer: then you don't need to find your bus, you are already in JB now.
me: by surprising, isn't it, can I have a map of JB?
office : yes here it is, he explained me on the map by showing the shopping malls location.
me : ok thanks a lot, sir, bye bye
officer: you're welcome.

Our holiday started like that and we keep asking people to get correct way. Later we found a city square mall that is relatively big and we stopped at money changer to convert our money to Malaysia Ringgit. We just able to sight after that but we still don't have clear destination to visit. I encouraged my company not to think so much and to enjoy our trip as everything here we see are going to be new experience. Then we moved forward with the prospect of a good place to shop/visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment