Friday, November 19, 2010

SMRT lesson


"BE CONSIDERATE"
The sign board we used to see around public area in the lion city. It's good practice to remind people who forget to do so timely I think. I never seen such notice before in my life but we used to see "keep your campus clean" around the premise of our hostels during our campus life in our country. I have to say the latter is not comprehensive as it merely attention to cleanliness of the area.

My room is one and half hour traveling distance from my office. So everyday I have to ride SMRT train service as well as bus. So I can get opportunity to learn people how they behave in daily life. I am interest in learning people regardless of age or rank. Rush hour is always crowd in public transport and people squeeze tightly side by side. It's understandable that dark blue color seats are reserved for a particular commuters such as old people, pregnant people, disable people, etc. But some of people seems don't bother to comply that despite there are so many reminder notices. I understand that it can be achieved by complying heartily and everybody should do their part so that our community become better place to live.

When I saw some young people gave up their seats for those who need more than them, I am glad and thought it's really graceful. One particular fine day of few week back, a young man is sitting on the reserve seat and playing game with his laptop on the train. There is one pregnant woman sanding just beside him and he didn't give up the seat. I am infront of him and other people are also seeing the situation. But this is up to him to give up or remain. I also can neglect the matter and continue reading my newspaper.

Meanwhile, one western lady asked the woman if she is pregnant or not and she replied 'yes'. As soon as she, western lady, clarify that, she straight away approach to sitting man and touch his shoulder as a signal. Once the man's chin up, she showed him pregnant woman by touching woman's tummy. The man immediately gave up the seat and move away as he seems ashamed for his inconsiderate manner. I was happy to see situation and continue to start thinking.

Why we, easterner, are not stand for right? Probably our cultural and background silently teach us silent on public. Or it's likely due to flawed educational system. I praised these westerner woman for her brave action for a right thing. There are so many locals around me and they keep quiet including me. We should have alerted him for a proper manner. He might be either pretend to play or didn't see at all. If he pretend to do so, the surrounding people should take some movement to make it right. I since then took extra care once I am sitting on the reserved seat when I am traveling.

May our society be a peaceful and better place to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment