Monday, November 29, 2010

A Christmas promise


Dear my baby,

When I was young, I didn't understand why we are poor despite we are one of the richest countries. I hope the same question you may bring along to me and ask me for answer. As you know, I grown up in a village of central Burma where there is no media access. Also there is no library and book shops around me since we don't have that practice and people seems don't bother on it. Traditionally we are used to that and spend our time in making some things that survive us in life. In fact, life is not only just for survive but for exploring our brain as much as possible. But there is no choice for a child who was born in such environment. It's also likely not to find a proper person to be asked our queries. Luckily, your grand-father, my dad was so patient in answering my continuous questions as good as possible. I am grateful for that and I'ld like to become a dutiful father like your grand-father when you start questioning.

Our life are so simple and we used to eat our time by playing and studying when we are school age. We don't know what is our level and not interested in other concern. So no wonder our brain developed within a particular limit. It's great to be simple in life but I think it's not always right. I am really concern on it when you are coming my life. I have started my own survey on where should I send you to study when you reach school age. Of course, being a father, I want to give you world-class education. But be remember there are side effects on the other hand, my baby. You may want to accuse for making you confuse. One simple no good, another one advance with side effects. Sorry if you have confused on this, I'll explain you deeper till you understand well.

As a result of poor education system, our country's graduates become less quality and mostly are not market ready people after their campus days. Moreover, the copy education made them worse to already weaken system. I remember my college days that I can't hire books from library. Then you might want to ask why there for library, ok, it's just for virtual to fulfill the facilities of a college/ university. As a result, students go to cafe shops rather than visiting a good and meaningful places like a library. No wonder our graduates cannot compete with our counterparts from other regional countries. I don't compare to western graduates the gap is so huge between ours and theirs. There are continuous abuse to my fellow citizen for our poor background and more importantly lack of English language efficiency. We are trying to survive in the broken places so as to assist our family behind. We swallow all troubles and problems in favour of their (our relatives) goodness. We mostly don't let them know how are we struggling here. This is in fact the victim of a bad system. Those coming here to work are actually at least one degree holder but still not good enough to do lower ranking job due to our poor education system. In fact, we are standing here by fighting with our hard working spirit, honesty and cheap wages among others. We are losing our future as we all don't know when we can go back home exactly and the situation here is never stable for migrant workers like us. That's why we, migrant workers, want our country change more than those who are living and working domestic.

During the last two decades, our education system goes from bad to worse under administration of Junta, I believe. I have come across the various stages of political and had witnessed the outcome of bad systems. Luckily I had a chance to have a neighbour who was book-worm and love to buy and share books weekly and monthly from a big cities. I benefit from it and my reading hobby initiated from that point. So I want to create a similar situation unless I able to bring you here. Being a father, I felt that I am responsible for leaving you alone in my home town now. I promise you, baby, I'll try to raise you as high as possible.

Recently, our country made a 20 years awaited election and finished with a disappointing result that were not recognized by UN and international communities. We hope some changes from this election and of course we wanted to see some improvements after that. But people are distraught after election and so do we. I also sincerely expect changing education system and let you study locally so that you don't need to learn Myanmar's long and deep cultural in foreign country. I oftenly read a lot of shock news related to school girls here and it make me hard to make decision. I might have been too worry for you, but I have to insist it as it is good for you. I can't afford to decide simply if I want you to relax in long term. But I am confident that I can find a proper solution by the time you reach pre-school age.

Wish you a happy Christmas, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment