Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Me and Newspaper


I DON'T LIKE to read newspaper until I was working in KL, Malaysia. Being migrant low paid worker, I couldn't afford to buy newspaper and watch a TV at my dormitory. Luckily there are few free newspaper in Malaysia and I managed to grab one of them early morning. I'll miss free paper for some days and I switch office newspaper to fill my hungry of reading. What make me read newspaper in deed?

It is my eagerness to know the football news in time and I find it enjoyable to share the latest football news with my fellow colleagues. You know, it is mouth-watering to talk and comment about football both in national and club levels. Sometime we would discuss and guess which club is going to win for this year title in EPL. Sometime we would discuss about professional footballer's life and their hefty wages per week. As you know, we almost men are interested in telling about football unless we are not the same hobby in the rest areas. Nevertheless I became a newspaper addict and I owe the football industry for making me enjoy reading English-language newspaper.

Of course I can't stop after reading just sport section, I would love to read other section such as head news, home news, financial news, political news, social news, life style, etc. But I would start reading from a sport section that is my favourate and I'ld leave other sections if I have no time to read. Sometime my friend and I would go around the Bangsar, the place we stay and work in KL, to get one piece of free paper. We usually know where we can get and where does the free paper stand exist. At our office, there is 1 paid newspaper and put on the paper stand for all collegues. So we all colleagues try to read it at the same time because we are not allowed to read this during working time. And of course, our lunch break is common free time for us and we oftenly fight for newspaper. Sometime we negiotiate to seperate newspaper to few sections and share reading.

Fortunately I find a place where some one day old newspaper and magazine are dumped. My hostel is located in the 2nd storey of terrace shop-houses. So there are so many shop at the ground floor levels and there is one beauty saloon straight under my hostel. This beauty saloon usually throw their old papers and magazine to to cabinet beside the staircase. This staircase is the one we use to climb up and down from and to our hostel. So I usually check once I return home if there is some paper/magazine inside the box. Mostly the box cover is unable to close as inside a lot of papers. So I would take them and bring along with me to my own room so that I can enjoy reading at night time and weekend. It doesn't matter one days or few days old they are, I enjoy to read and know about the world, sport, malaysia, etc. By this way, reading newspaper became one of my hobby I think.

After 3 years service with Malaysia company, I entered Singapore for a better future and I found again there are also a few free papers in S'pore as well. It make me feel happy and I'ld never hesitate to grab one if I find a person who is deliverying newspaper in the morning. It's worthy enough to make a queue despite it can make my way to office a bit delay. Lucky again, currently I am staying at the Singaporean house and the old owner couple make a business related with newspaper. Again, I got an opportunity to able read newspaper at home FOC and I can even choice all kind of newspaper at my living room. I keep reading newspaper from morning to night whenever I have a free time. I never felt it is boring and I thanks to owner for their supporting part. This is the main reason I could stay this house for more than a year now. As a result of reading paper, I could gain a lot updated news regarding to a world as well as domestic. Nowadays information is money and even it is called King in some sectors. We can't deny that since we are temporary residents here as a immigrant worker. Being migrant worker, we need to know when does govt change its policy according to factors. Otherwise we'ld be blind without any knowledge of the place we live in. As we eat for our body, we shoud read something for our brain I think. Hopefully you all love to read newspaper and whatever something that is supposed to consider good. :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment