Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Productivity


I HAVE BEEN HEARD about productivity in the country I am working now especially in the wake of recession period. The world had suffered from probably worst recession in its history on 2008 and most of countries are still trying to heal this wounds. Of course the country that does rely on export products like Singapore was affected from that bitter experience. Luckily it happened to this island state for a while and they were able to maintain their momentum as soon as possible with the group of world's best salary earners. No wonder they have earns such incredible salaries since they all are above from the rest and gave their fully efforts at work. I don't mean only top levels in Singapore are working hard. A country's economy depend not only government's policy but its people rate of productivity.

Few months back, one research group highlighted the productivity in Singapore is one third of those in Japan and half of those in Australia. Consequently the government allowed several budget to introduce skill upgrading program through various institute and varsities. All Singaporean enjoy that if they are willing to learn to upgrade their existing skill through these program. The tuition fees can be discounted up to 90% based on the course they attend. What an amazing experience to taste? We can't imagine to get the same experience the locals taste here by our own government despite we paid the world's highest income tax. I was so upset to read double taxation agreement between Singapore and Myanmar government through ICA website few days back. I have been hearing about this long time before but I actually read it now only. Seeing is believing and I deny my suspect on if it was rumour. Anyway we are obliged to support our country's will as long as we maintain our citizenship. No other choice but accept.

Let it be. I just want to focus on this post is the attitude of our country's government staffs regarding to the productivity. When other countries keep talking about this productivity through skill upgrade training and funds that support SMEs to afford in buying latest and modernized equipments to reduce severely rely on man power. As we all known that our government staffs seems don't want to do anything they are suppose to do during working time. They always expect something from the people who are coming for their services. We can easily see this manner if we go any govt related office in our land. I think nobody will deny that. I can't blame them if they give me reason for not enough wages to support their daily life's expenses. But this happened to those who earn more than enough in life.

I have never worked in government service since I was graduated. So I don't know the feeling of govt staffs in real life. But all my siblings are govt staffs and they always struggling to survive in real life because they are not high ranking officers. Being a normal staffs, they can't expect so much apart from their salaries. On the other hand, they don't need to work so hard. At some points, it's clear they have nothing to do in office. As a result, they go to work so late (about 10:00am) and return home early (about 4:00pm). Where got productivity to boost our country's already weaken economy? I don't know what is actual data for our GDP. Probably the govt have announced for that without much paying attention to let people know or I misreading those news.

Once I was studying my first diploma course in Chauk, I was staying at my Aunty's quarter who is working for fertilizer factory at Salay. I have some cousins who are also working in this factory and I knew they all staffs are taking factory products at the night shift by illegal ways. According to them, some very top management level even take them out by false consent paper at day time. So from low to high ranking levels become thieves of the factory and it make factory always negative cashflow at the end. My Uncle was working in Accountant department of that factory and he sometime explained the situation of factory in term of financial view. The government is operating this factory to maintain jobs for all workers despite every month lose. I just can't understand at that age why the government keep operating if they are really lose from operation. In fact, most of factory running in Myanmar are not making profit. Probably the report show profit to ministry, the actual figure you may not know exactly. It really happen in my country.

One day, this factory break down and the official report the status of the factory regarding to repair. The response from ministry level read that the factory remained stop operation means less lossing to our government and so the ministry prefer to import required fertilizer for cheaper price. Meaning this factory never contribute our government economy when it's was under service? I think everybody know the problem but no taking into consideration and action. There are 2 factories within the same compound and one able to produce 50 T and another 75 T of fertilizer. There are thousand workers to run this 2 old factories. One news understand me that the factory that produce same capacity in oversea would need man power for about 25 to 30 only. Then how much have we waste public money by leaving these factories without necessary upgrading. The govt might have been prefer to save in capital cost for expensive operation rate. In term of productivity, the govt would be a loser as long as the factories are running. Then what is purpose for industrializing in this world? No point, right? May be such stories only happening in the poor country that don't have a proper leadership and management.

Today I read a news regarding to public health care domestically. Nowadays more and more people are going oversea for their health care purpose. It's not only for highly rated disease but for normal ones because the local health care quality had been declined significantly and they are losing customer's confident on their services. What a bad experience to our industry? There are a lot different sad stories related to the unprofessional medical treatment experience that sometime cost patient's life without effecting the offender's career. The medical staffs are liking the license killer and they should have aware of patient's safety.

On the other hand, people are upsetting to find the lack of taking care in the public hospital. What's look like hospital when they have no doctors? I don't see a hospital without doctors or physician more than a building. Recently my wife gave our very first child at the central city of Myanmar's private hospital. We are needed to pay 300,000 Ks deposit by the time we register. After my wife admitted, we need to top up this deposit when the staff come and remind us. Meaning we have to leave hospital if we failed to top up this deposit money. Where got the original philo of studying medicine? I was surprising to see so many physicians in private hospital during working time. Does it mean they don't need to go their duty? Only they and authority will know the answer of this simple question. The power of money remain unchanged in the self claim buddhist country. It's shameful to treat badly to patient who are not afford to pay their medical bills. I can't just imagine how do they settle once they come cross such bitter experience.

I simply believe that a country can't develop without productivity. If our people are lacking in this, we have to find the way to settle by changing educational system or the likes. I am sure the govt leaders are quite genius and they will definitely know what they have to do next with immediate action. I am just itching to learn once poorer countries in region over taken our country recently, for instance, vietnam, cambodia and loas. Where gone the spirit of our forefathers? How do we catch and get back on the right track to breast our neighbouring countries? Just wondering it and I'm willing to serve my country where and when I am needed by govt. Hopefully I can able to contribute my country one day sooner or later.



No comments:

Post a Comment