Friday, August 6, 2010

Baseless that FT/FW are lazy


RECENTLY PM Lee announced that island state would need to import 100,000 foreign workers in 2010 fiscal year. What a good sound to migrant workers and those who are trying to go and seek a place to work in? Being a migrant worker myself, I welcome such news, no matter the less or much quantity and frequency. The government keep saying foreign talent and workers are contributing the Singapore's booming economy and are part of maintaining this success. Meanwhile this news significantly makes some locals upset especially those who are jobless and less qualified people. To me, no wonder upon both parties announcement. Recent research say 2 in 3 of locals are not happy with the foreign influx. Meaning 65% of locals are not agreeing with the government's plan. Anyway it's their matters and I don't want to make any comment on it. I will try to be a optimistic upon the good news.

Few months back, one research showed that the productivity in Singapore's construction industry is one third that of Japan and one half that of Australia. Consequently the locals voice out by pointing the skills of foreign workers rather than reviewing themselves. They might be right for handful percentage of FT/FW because we migrant workers need to give our best at work so that we can survive amid a challenging workplaces. I have been working 3 years in Malaysia and another 3 years in Singapore. So I have gained some working experiences in oversea that help me teach how to work as a team together with locals. Luckily I am able to work at the office in both countries and understood the nature, behavior, cultural and language of the locals than my peers who are working in the site.

Basically the locals are willing to work at the office because they are mostly educated and want to avoid 3D jobs as much as possible. It makes me learn the working-style of them in real work. They are rarely trying to work hard unless they are share holders or boss. I see only boss and director level work hard as the company's output will affect directly to their assets. Apart from these top level group, the rest local work force will not match the workdone of foreign talents I think. Generally, the FT are well experience in work despite they don't have recognized certificates as the locals does. But certificates are not all about work as well as languages. There are so many other factors to make job successful and I find most of these are lacking in locals.

Last time before I worked in oversea, I thought foreign university graduate would be a readily available to job market to start. In fact, they also need to learn after joining real world after their graduation. Probably they might have been learned better and latest theory to apply. But in real work, we seldom use these theory and I remember one of my superior said to me that we may need to use only about 10% of what we have learned in University. I was told by my ex-boss from Malaysia and I was instantly agreed with him without delaying.

I am currently working in SMEs at Singapore and there are few Singaporean in the work force. I was surprised at the first time to learn on less ingredient of locals. Mostly are from Malaysian Singapore PRs. At the office, there are three Singaporean who are working in two different department. One is working as admin staff who is supporting to MD and she used to come work after 10:00am. Then she'll be busy with making her breakfast for about half hour. Later on she'll keep complaining for so many jobs need to be done but she keep coming late. I was surprising nobody dare to tell her despite she is not a share holder. Wonder what if she is FT/FW. No choice in real life if you are a FT/FW to follow her steps.

Another local is working as an assistant accountant and she would take half day leaves on every couple days. What she say is due to her son's health reason and boss forgive her probably because of her long service. There are altogether four staffs under account department. The head is indonesian who has just converted to Singaporean and he will never deserve proper respect from his inferiors. Unfortunately he oversee my jobs despite he is not an Engineer nor QS. Account people are talking about their family during working time and they keep say there is never enough man power to finish their jobs. On the other hand, they take on leave alternatively. Where is a good attitude to work? How do we produce a good productivity that this government always encourage to its people with such people?

Another local colleague is a guy who is also working under account department. He will always want to play online game and sometime work. I always need to help him in basic work such as filing as he is lazy to do his job. Being QS, I need to know previous payment amount once I prepare for monthly claims. I am given a ton of jobs and I silently make it finished on time. As a QS, I have to work under specific time frame meaning I got to work under pressure as my work is related to money. Whatever I make wrong mean losing money to my boss and it is disgrace to me. I always want to try my best and sometime I need my collages to cooperate in jobs. But they seems they don't want to help me once I need them. If I ask for their help, they will reask me to do it myself. On the other hand, I will be asked by them to help their job. I know it's not fair to me and I try to help them as I don't want to create a bad weather around me.

Sometime I strike back to them once I felt their manner was so bad and unfair to me, they'll easily point me and label me disrespect man. All superiors will come to me and ask me to do their jobs. My customer will include from boss to admin staffs, all ranking. People would angry at me if I can't do their job without short period. They will never asked me if I am free or busy to give their jobs. I don't know exactly what is my real jobs in fact. I need to help PM, accountant, MD, admin, while I am working all QS works. Top of that I was so disappointed to learn one real thing among staffs recently.

Few months back, my SMEs was purchased by UK based international company. The new boss asked MD to maintain existing management team for at least first 3 years and we all continuously work without any significantly change in organization. But of course we need to do extra works such as reporting for weekly and monthly. The new boss want to know what are we doing and as well as he want to know how does job going here by seeing our reports from Europe. At one point, the new boss demanded to report for who is doing what. In that case, my senior who is also working as a CFO adjust all responsibilities so as to save all's job and reputation. Of course some part of my jobs are done by other lazy local colleagues in his report. Is it fair to me then? It'll definitely affect once they consider for promotion and raise. I was so upsetting to know this but I can't protest for that.

That's why I want to smile by the time I read the comments made by locals in media that these low productivity came due to low skills of FT/FW. It's most likely because of themselves because they always take maximum leaves and MC within allowable frame. How can we increase our productivity with the attitude of such people? This is collective effort and we may have to take all responsibilities given to us properly. Meanwhile we have to upgrade our skills by attending new training course that introduce latest technology. The government is offering very good subsidies to its locals on upgrading skills training courses, but some locals are not interesting on it as they see it is useless but waste time. Being FT, I am currently attending one skill upgrading course and need to pay full tuition fees without discount while my local class-mate enjoy about 90% of course fees discount. So I am surprising when I read the locals accuse on their government that they are not well taken care by government. I don't know how much they expect their government to do for their life. It is up to them and totally non of my business. My attention is to work as hard as possible and keep my job for my family and country. I'll go back my home land once I collect enough money to invest in my home country. At the moment, I'll try to swallow my home-sick for the sake of my newly born daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment