Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Relocation Story


OUR office is suppose to shift to bigger office tomorrow. Unfortunately, it is the same building and just different level. Following the gradually increase of man power, the company was needed to search an office with wider floor area. In the new renovation office, there are some extra rooms created for future employees. We're expected to start work in new office from tomorrow. Thus, we all are informed our new workstation by HR today and also urged to take responsibility in shifting our own computer and its accessories by this evening. The seating layout plan was needed to revise repeatedly by several senior staffs. Eventually we know the confirm workstation just hour away from actual shifting things. I don't know how our management is handling this matter. For me it's just a simple task.

As usual, I feel there are some unfair in the seating plan which is strongly linked to personal. The account personnel take full back row seats by citing they are handling top secret matter in office. I am not agree with that reason because it's not compact work environment. People from the same department should be placed together in order to generate better productivity. The person who need to use most system files should be given workstation next to file cabinet. Likewise, the person who print most should be placed next to printer. I don't know what is the real idea behind the sitting plan. I wonder as if it was based on service in which most senior are being placed behind rows while junior in front.

With regard to the seat plan, I heard some noisy complain from my colleagues. Some are vocal while some are silently disappointing. I might be latter group. Wonder why I'm not being put behind row which is next to cabinets. I need to use most files among fellow QS since I handle most projects both in running and unclosed past ones. Moreover I am only one QS who involve in the tender processing. It need me to use variety of files and my current workstation is being over loaded by colorful files both on and under table. I have limited place to work and it sometime make me work improperly position which lead me wrist pain at night. I wanted to complain with this but keep silent because I am always first to response senior management in the office. I felt we are treated differently. Perhaps I have been pessimist against my colleagues.

But I do believe it doesn't matter where to work for those who work hard. In this perspective, I console myself by trying to silent in this case. But it's long journey and once we are placed, it's going to be affected till we finally resign from company. In view of it, everybody should have been treated fair way. In brief, it is small matter and I just trying to record my feeling through the process of our office relocation. May all my colleague enjoy with the place they are being offered by management.

No comments:

Post a Comment