Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Arab Spring


"ARAB SPRING", the new word to reflect recent middle east countries revolution. I also don't fully understand the meaning of this beautiful word until I see a cartoon in the straight time newspaper. I always love to see the cartoons drawn by ST's core cartoonist "Miel" which is usually published on the reverse side of the front page. This section is mostly for editorial's article or commentary by some well known columnists. In order to attract readers and bore, the cartoon illustration was put with regard to article's highlighting. Miel is really talented cartoonist from Singapore I think since he can make people easily understand and remember the article by one block cartoon. The area given is relatively small but the value of its part is invaluable. I appreciate the way he think on drawing cartoon. I can rate him the Awpikyae of Singapore.

As I said above, one of his cartoon enlighten me to understand Arab Spring few months ago. Yesterday I read an article on local popular website, EMG of Myanmar. I surprisingly found Arab Spring again in that article. However, this time the translation of writer is far different from the original meaning of Arab Spring. I'm not 100% sure with the meaning of this. But I could feel that Miel's translation is better reflect to actual situation of middle east. Then, how my fellow citizen professional writer did translate it. He repeatedly mention that word by Myanmar language rather than as it is by English. His translation is easily correct at first word which is "Arab" where the revolution come out. The latter word "Spring" might have been translated wrongly as per his article.

I take Oxford Dictionary and find an exact meaning of Spring and found as follow:-
1) Spring (Verb) : Move or jump suddenly or rapidly upwards or forwards.
2) Spring (Noun): the season after winter and before summer, in which vegetation begins to appear, in the northern hemisphere from March to May and in the southern hemisphere from September to November.

From the definition of above, Arab Spring's original intention might have been first rather than second, I think. Because the Spring represent here is the demonstration of people from middle east nations with the prospect of ending their iron-fist regimes. Thus, I do believe the possible of second definition has no chance to stick with the Arab Spring. However, the writer used generously the second meaning in his article. It'ld be more safe and good for readers if he use original English word in his article if he is not very sure with translation. Because giving wrong message to readers can be deemed dangerous I think. I admit again that I also didn't understand the meaning until Miel's cartoon as shown in this post. One day I got Miel's blog address in the newspaper and now I am following his blog at www.blogtoonistmiel.blogspot.com.

May our professional writers able to write as it is to give true message to their fans.

Disclaimer: I am not writing this post to offen my fellow citizen writer. As I admit in this post, I also not sure with the meaning of original Spring. I just wanted to feel something wrong and share with my friends only. Nothing more. If there is something wrong with my idea, I am solely responsible for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment