Thursday, January 5, 2012

Salary Matter ?


FOLLOWING the recommendation for Singapore's minister's salary, there have been a lot opinions on local newspaper and online. Senior minister Grace Fu posted on her Facebook wall and got several hundreds comments, mostly are negatively response. She recalled her days before she joined politic from her successful career with PSA in 2006. She reiterated that it wasn't salary that make her thinking to enter political world. I'm quite agree with her statement on her Facebook page. To be honest, I didn't think of government office holder's feeling. Her short brief can make me sympathize of politician at least. To make her opinion alive in my memory, let me share how did she face difficult junction before she skip her successful career for political office. Her original controversial respond to the salary cut recommendation could be found in her Facebook as follow:-

"When I made the decision to join politics in 2006, pay was not a key factor. Loss of privacy, public scrutiny on myself and my family and loss of personal time were. The disruption to my career was also an important consideration. I had some ground to believe that my family would not suffer a drastic change in the standard of living even though I experienced a drop in my income. So it is with this recent pay cut. If the balance is tilted further in the future, it will make it harder for anyone considering political office."

The above her opinion appeared some warning words in the end. We have to be realistic in thinking things especially for those affect policies. Some may not be agree with her opinion while others may agree. I would like to be in the latter group because Singapore has only human resource to rely on. Besides, republic may find it difficult to maintain its momentum if they fail to attract highly talent people to join politic. We cannot expect all politician to work passionately regardless of their pay. Some might be while other think other way.

In fact, I am just foreign worker in lion city whose application for SPRs had been rejected for twice. However I cannot assume recent minister's salary review is non of my business. Because without able cabinet ministers, Singapore will fail to create enough job opportunities that may affect us our current jobs. It's obvious that Singaporean come first when the government consider employment. Thus we have to pray a goodness of Singapore's economy if we are to work for longer term. Otherwise, it would be real risk of loosing job sooner than later.

May Singapore find an excellent solution with regard to current salary cut review so that its ministers can enjoy their public service absolutely.



No comments:

Post a Comment