Sunday, February 17, 2013

Unexpected Teacher

THERE are four kind of meditation by position which is Sit, Stand, Walk & Lies. For freshers, meditation in sit position is recommended because it is optimum position to gain concentration power in short possible time. I also thinking it is easiest way to practice. On third day afternoon, I tried to test meditation in walking position in front of my room during private rest time. Thinking monk's teaching, I tried to keep my mind stay at my move. I tried to know on every step in order not to stray my mind. I counted with extra-care

Want to take off, taken off
Want to fly, flying step
Want to landing, landed

Since each step can be composed of 6 parts as follow, my action is apparent too slow. Meanwhile, I was seeing at my step in order not to sway/ collapse at worst case. I began to feel happy to understand the meaning of walking meditation. I realized the deep meaning of want, act and spoil in mind. Nothing is last for ever. As long as mind is static, I knew more detail in what's happening in movement. A bit further advanced, know further as feeling other than above 6 steps:-

I feel cool when flying my step
I feel hot when landing my step
I feel soft when flying my step
I feel hard when landing step

Slightly more detail than just take off, flying and landing step. I am in the deep concentration and my mind was quite under control. I keep going without noticing around. Suddenly, I heard a voice towards me.

Fellow Participant: excuse me.
Me : stop and answer her, yes
FP : I think you are wrong in move
Me : yes, please teach me
FP : please do not think I want to be a teacher on you
Me : oh not really, tell me correct way
FP : well, your head is too downward that will make your neck muscle feel uncomfortable sooner
Me : oh is it, then what's correct position?
FP : you are suppose to see 6 ft distance in front
Me : oh I see, then how far should I step?
FP : your step should not far beyond its tip.
Me : alright, I'll remember it.
She is demonstrating how to do it at the same time.
Me : Then, how should I keep in mind, madam?
FP : know you mind in 3 steps as a beginner.
Me : how?
FP : know movement in 3 steps, lift, going and step.
Me : okay, I'll try it again.

After that, she moved away to attend afternoon dhamma teaching class and I followed short afterward. I am grateful her for correcting me. And I always remember her saying whenever I meditate in walk position from that time onwards. I noted another unexpected teacher in mind and I'll always remember her advice. Dhamma will look after to those who are practicing Dhamma. I am no doubt on this unwritten saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment