Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A day of worthlisten


LAST SUNDAY (24/04/2011), my wife and I went 3rd Myanmar literature talk show held in University Cultural Centre Hall of NUS. I bought the ticket about one month ago and I was so eagerly to attend this because this is first time to attend such kind. The first two talk show was missed and I enjoyed on youtube website. It was so knowledgeable and I wanted to make sure to attend next event. It cost me S$15 per head inclusive of free dinner. There are other discounts tickets come together with the ticket by sponsor and co-sponsor companies.

The talk show time is indicated on ticket as from 1.00pm to 8.30pm and able to start at 1.30pm exactly. We left our room on 11:30am so that we can reach there in time. Since the speakers are Myanmar's famous authors, there are so many fellow citizens there and they all happy by taking photographs with speakers before the talk show start. My seat is located in the medium deck of 3 story cultural hall. The hall is really impressive and it is a good sign of respect by organizer to visiting authors. According to the programme, there would be 4 authors talking to the audiences with the different interesting title. Young Myanmar Poly & SMU students are taking responsible for moderator roles during the break time between consecutive authors.

I was surprised to see the big cultural centre hall is filled with my fellow citizen just before talk show start. I thought there will be far less attendance than available seat capacity (1700 seats). All 3 levels are full of literature lovers and the cultural centre hall suddenly appear belong to Myanmar land due to overwhelming Myanmar citizen. It's much pleasure to see people around in our traditional dresses. It really make me feel getting home sense. Once the talk show start, people started to applause and cheer to oncoming author who is taking position. It's really loud to afraid for local security staff who are standing and guarding around the corridors of all levels and entrance and exit doors.

The authors and audiences are really matched and enjoyed each other. The author are really talented in talking public and they know how to manage the crowd not to be boring during talking time. Each author is allowed about 90 min to talk and it's not easy to make people enjoy within that time. It's equivalent to a match time of football. Sometime thousands crowd are so silent in deep listening and another time they are making noise environment by applauding to cheer author's speeches. The author's speech cover all angles of our life, from social to political, from economy to education, from environmental issue to religious, from knowledge base to fiction, from cultural to mismanagement by our government, etc.

We all thought time goes so fast during their talking time. In total, there are 7 hours talk time and people just left the hall for rest room purpose only. They are enjoying and supporting the author's opinion and sharing knowledge. It's really equivalent reading so many books in a year time, I believe. They all make our eye and ear wider and wiser while we are temporarily stay and working away from home. I cried several time during the show and so does my wife. I saw my neighbours also crying and laughing alternative. We sing together when the author sign famous song & poem. I never attend and seen such show in which speaker and audiences are cohesive.

Once people applaud, the security staffs would look at around with watchful eyes because they don't understand what the speakers are talking to, at first. In later stage, they understand and not rush as initial time. I oftenly see their action and guess what would they like to be now. I see their surprise in their eyes. I see their impressive by behavior. I see their respect our culture as they are witnessing physically. It make me proud being Myanmar citizen. They will never have such occasion in their native land. No wonder they are surprising the action of us. People won't hesitate to sing and applaud at the right time. There is no timing but it goes right. Once all 1700 audience applaud together, the sound is incredibly loud and it might share to them despite they don't understand the reason to do so. I really pity them and even think of why organizer can't make it translate to English so that they can understand. The world can understand. Probably it's because the safety of authors.

I'm sure if they do so, the authors would be arrested when they return home. Because our government don't want the world understand our current situation. The authors continuously request to audience to save our country when the time come. They insist people that we won't change nationality wherever we are staying away from mother land. It really make us understand the portraitist of a citizen. Since all audience are book worms, I believe they all understand well what the authors meant. At the same time, this talk show make us more united among fellow citizens. There will be another talk show on coming Sunday at Singapore polytechnic auditorium hall. I intend to attend every single talk show like that as long as I get a chance and hope there will be so many talk show coming in near future.

May our author be able to talk freely and sharing their opinion with their people.

No comments:

Post a Comment