Friday, April 9, 2010

Alien Cent & A curious child

IT IS FUNNY to experience in getting some unwanted item for balance money when we shop in Yangon. The reason by seller is that they don't have small change to return shopper's balance. Then confusing about small change amount? OK how small is called small change? It can be as much as 200Ks and I was so upsetting to accept this unfair shopping experience but accept. Because if I don't want want this option, I would have to lose my balance money to retailer or vendor. As JFK said, "Things do not happen, they are made to happen". Likewise, we, people, are accepting this new experience without able to complain and it automatically change to shopper's practice. These days, people won't be surprise to get back a tissue pack or sweets or candle for their balance money. Finally this practice become by-law or what some people call sweet revolution or tissue revolution.

We basically understood that small change mean cents what we call "pya" in burmese. In fact, it has been disappearing from the market for long long ago and you will find it difficult if you want to see it nowaday. As a result, children who were born after 1990 won't know how does is it. One fine day, 5 years old child from my neighbour found a 5 cents coin infront of house and he didn't know what is it but interest in it. He picked it up and rush back to home and asked his mother

child: what is it, mum (showing a coin)
mum: It is called 5 cents, my dear
child: hmmm, what do you mean cent? can you explain me clearly?
mum: cents is one type of money, son
child: then can i use it to buy something I want?
mum: hmmm, cannot as it's value is too low.
child: I don't understand mum, you say it's money but cannot use it.
mum: yes, you are right, I could able to use when I was at your age.
child: ok, mum, then who is on this coin?
mum: he is our national hero, son
child: why he is printed on this?
mum: bcz our government honored him for his brave and contribution to our country.
child: I see, then where is he living now?
mum: he had been passed away for over 60 years
child: why he is disappearing on the money we used today?
mum: hmmmmmmm,, you'll know when you are grown up, my dear.
child: I thought money can only represent a lion, mum.
mum: immmm, it's true, now
child: why does it represent to our country?
mum: hoooo,,,do you see a couple of lion when you go pagoda?
child: yes, mum
mum: we, Burmese, are mostly buddhist and we admire these animal as a loyal & guard to our pagoda.
child: so, they deserve to be on our money?
mum: sorry, I'm not sure for this question, son.
child: alright, mum. let me go and play as my friends are waiting for me there.
mum: ok son, come back before dark.
child: ok mum.
mum: hmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,thks frds of my son....

It's realistic case in our community and wish we can make some corrective action to make our younger generation out of confusion in basis things. If they can't find an ideal solution for a basis question, how can they compete with their peers of other countries? If they fail to compete with outside world, how can we expect a better country in future. As they said, " Our future is mainly depend on today's generation".

No comments:

Post a Comment