Monday, January 10, 2011

Military Draft draws people's outrage


As a country of over 65 million genial people, I never thought it'ld be necessary to enact military draft to its people. But I myself is facing this life time experience as the new law come merciless without escaping even the women. Again I never thought I would become a soldier after I had failed my first attempt to become army officer after my matriculation exam some 17 years back. I wasn't happy unable to block my nephew entering army through army medical college. Finally the law came to boost the power of army that is already among the largest in the world in term of man power.

In this post-election days, we, people, are happy with the prospect of changing Junta to civilian party to rule our country to go ahead in search of developing country. What a disappointing news to learn the news that require adult men and women to serve minimum 2 years to defend our country? Every time, the state media said our country is peaceful and worthy to live in the world. They boast how rich our natural resources are. They resist how don't care international sanctions as long as we can stand on our own foot. Yes all they claim are seemingly right for a short-sighted people. I am not happy when MM Lee rated our leaders stupid. I am desperate to have an intelligent leader for my country. Unfortunately it's far to bridge at the moment.

As a new military draf state every men and women who passed 18 need to register for military service, I am eligible to serve as I am only mid 30s now. The law require those who are younger than 45 needs for men and 35 for women to register. Of course, the stick follow every enacted law despite there is no carrot appeared. Those who failed to register must face punishment for minimum 2 years in jail up to 5 years. This seems so serious and hopefully the law makers can soften it sooner or later. If this law is announced officially, this would be probably the first law come out from the very first parliament who is backed by military Junta. Since we are just people, we have no choice but to follow the law regardless of fair or unfair because there is no place to seek for any justice as it's against state.

I remember the day I read from local newspaper that one army officer from Singapore told his view upon their army. It read "Once the army is seem a hammer and whoever against them, the army will use it and the people will suffer, nowadays army are no longer like that in the world". I really liked that by the time I read and that's why I still remembering it despite it was read long time ago. Why people hate in my country? The answer is crystal clear and needless to say. As long as they are doing their job, people will doubtlessly love them for protecting their lives. Also it won't be difficult to recruit new soldiers as long as the army provide enough facilities and amenities to them. Today our army are likely to face shortage of lower ranking solders in all departments. On the other hand, the young people like to join army for Defense Service Academy who produce military officers with the prospect of getting a chance to become riches. It makes our army unbalanced and I think this problem drove Junta leaders to pass this military draft that can be outrage of our people so far.

May our law makers can do the right thing to ease and protect people's life without any fear.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully, this register for military services be just Immature thoughts.......

    ReplyDelete