Sunday, January 17, 2010

A value of a step


If we think time is money in Singapore, then a value of step cost us some in different aspect. On the day 1 of 2010, I moved out to a place nearby my wife's office and I enjoy the taste of rush hour ridership. Since my new place is located on the Northern west and my work is at the Southern East, I need to travel through the whole city area to get my work. In this process, I notice some habit and behavior of fellow commuters.

It's a human nature that people want to do things on the margin. Most of people left home at the last minute for work. I also one of those and I will have to rush all the way to work. Walk faster to catch the train & bus as early as possible. I am staying on the NS line and my last destination end at EW line. So basically I need to transit at one interchange station. But I noticed on having some special trains that can travel all the way beyond its designated end station. I mean is NS train doesn't end at Jurong East station and continue driving on the EW line and terminate at Pasir Ris station. I never heard before such a kind of service until my first day experience and I intended to take fully advantage of this availability.

So I can't afford to walk slowly as 1 min late can cost me 15 minutes because this special train interval during peak hours is about 15 minute. So I usually walk quite fast on the way to station and queue for free morning paper at the station. It would be boring trip to travel over an hour without a paper to read and so I used to take my paper to avoid it. Sometime I need to judge myself as training is approaching within 1 minute once I just arrive to station to Q. I can't afford to take both and I understand the value of time more at that point.

Some day I can't simply aboard the train despite I catch it because train is full of passenger and I would be left behind and how upset it is to see train going? Again, I realize the value of a step when I am the first commuter to be left. So I decide not to Q at the paper once I encounter such a bitter experience. But the following day, I'll automatically Q again as I have become a paper addict. I feel something empty inside if I do not read a paper early morning. I hope it secretly became my habit since I arrived in city state.

I noticed that even in a small thing like taking a paper and train, there is some risk involved regarding time consuming and I am aware of that. No wonder we can't avoid such a risk in our daily life routine and we should learn how to settle them instead upsetting. I thanks my wife for changing our room and give me a chance to learn how people are maneuvering in their daily life. Hopefully I can gain some good lessons from my daily route.

No comments:

Post a Comment