Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A day to proud


IT WAS LAST SUNDAY, 12/12/2010, I attended a civil seminar 2010 organized by civil engineers who are working in Singapore for the first time such kind. I am needed to register couple months in advance to get my seat. I registered this event because I wanted to see our country's famous engineer, U Nyi Hla Nge who initiated the idea of this event. He made open and close ceremony speech wisely. He explained how does this event come and credited to his pupils Justify Fullwho are super-active in organizing this event with the prospect of wide knowledge sharing among fellow Myanmar engineer society especially to younger generation who just come and struggle to settle here.

Coincidentally this year, paying tribute to old teachers of RIT would be held in Singapore and the organizer arrange this event in the present of their respective teachers. So Prof U Nyi Hla Nge repeatedly stressed to carry this kind of seminar forward regardless of there is paying tribute to teachers. I really impressed the way he speak to audience and respect him on the first sight. No wonder he has been famous engineer in Myanmar and once gained deputy minister of technology. What a sham to sack him from this post due to political reason? I am sure he doesn't interest in politic and solely focus on his own career. When we neglect his ability, only our country will suffer from that. He can go any country with his recognized education background, but he stays in Myanmar. It say a lot how much he loves country and wants to contribute his mother land.

There are 10 speakers altogether in this year event. They come out with different interesting project from general practices of construction to airport design. It's great to learn how to make underground tunnel boring in Singapore's MRT construction. Some speakers explained by English and some of course by mother tongues. But I prefer by mother tongues if it is up to me because it can reach target of explanation easily. I don't down grade the quality of attendance. I just thinking of fast communication. They are much look like reading English section rather than explanation. Anyway we should give credit to their effort. It won't be easy to prepare a project for presentation to well educated audience.

I found some donation box as well as engineering book selling counters. The organizer are distributing feed back form to incoming attendances. The event is held at the auditorium of Singapore polytechnic and the event is attached one lunch buffet break and one refreshment beverage break. The event started on 8:30am and end at 5:30pm. I was happy to see the auditorium is full of Myanmar engineers and sad to see them gradually disappeared to half empty. At lunch break, there are quarter of attendances disappeared and at refreshment break another quarter walked away. At afternoon section, some of attendance are sleepy as the speakers are not attractive and topic are deemed boring.

I put my tail inside my legs when the speakers explain about design process like plastic & elastic, etc. It is embarrassing not to understand/ interest design topic despite I am graduated as a civil engineer. I think some considerable part of audience are the like of me. I expected less from this event and looking for more practical way of seminar. I agree as there are some engineer who can work as engineer. But on the other hand, we have to accept that it's only handful amount of those who come and work in Singapore. I might be pessimist but it's realistic I believe. We have to be realistic if we are looking for long term successful event. We shouldn't make our engineers find disappointing to attend such kind of seminar and stay away in next.

Anyway, we should welcome this kind of quality seminar among our society as this is the manner of educated society. We at least send some signal to locals how and what the quality people Burmese are. I filled up feed back form and gave some suggestion to make this event more attractive in next edition. The thing I achieve from this event is understanding my current position in term of civil engineering career. I had no technically related question to ask speakers during Q&A section. It made me ashamed to do so. I initially made some draft questions to ask if nobody ask. But when the time come, Prof U Nyi Hla Nge urged audience not to shame and angry on asking questions frankly. As a result there were some good respond from audience and I understood I shouldn't ask my question as they are out of technical area. My wife and I went back silently after the event is totally finished.

We were exhausted after sitting the whole day and listening to speakers under the roof. I realized how much they (organizer) will take effort to become this event successful if we are such tired. We all should salute to them for their contribution to our society without any profit. In fact they even might spend their own money in making this event happen in this lion city. Thanks for all concerned parties. I hope this is the very first of so many to come annually and we have finally created the milestone of Myanmar Engineers Society in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment